Drum set (rock) disappearing from instruments list(RESOLVED)

Discuss general Sibelius issues here. Get help with Sibelius and Sibelius Support.
appreciatethehelp
Sibelius Version: 6.1.0
Operating System: Mac

Post by appreciatethehelp » Sun Aug 21, 2016 4:00 pm

Hey again guys. Have run into yet another problem with my beloved (cough) Sibelius 6.1

I made some changes to the drum set (rock) that I was using in a drum score using edit> edit instruments.

Now when I go back into edit instruments in an attempt to edit the rock drum set again, it has disappeared from the instruments list.

I've looked in literally every instrument family in edit instruments, it's completely gone- it can't even be found in "drum kits and drum sets".

The score I am writing is only a drum score- there are no other instruments other than the rock drum set, and I certainly haven't deleted the instrument as I am staring at the drum parts as I type this sentence.

Anyone else had this problem? What is a transcriptionist to do?
Last edited by appreciatethehelp on Sat Oct 21, 2017 6:13 am, edited 2 times in total.

bobp

Post by bobp » Mon Aug 22, 2016 4:33 am

Edit Instruments is not for the faint of heart.

I seem to remember that Sibelius saves edited instruments only in reference to the piece they were edited for, and doesn't save them for general use. You have to save them as a House Style in order to use them in other pieces. Somewhere, the manual says how to do that. At which point it was no longer worth it to me.
Bob Porter
Sibelius 7.5, W10,i5,16 GB ram,desktop

stevenedis
Sibelius Version: 6.2
Operating System: Windows

Post by stevenedis » Tue Aug 23, 2016 8:48 am

Make sure the drum stave is selected before attempting to go to 'Edit Instruments'. Then this instrument should be the default option when the Edit Instruments page comes up.

appreciatethehelp
Sibelius Version: 6.1.0
Operating System: Mac

Post by appreciatethehelp » Sat Aug 27, 2016 6:35 pm

Wow, that is WIERD!

The last few times I started up Sibelius, one score in particular (the one I mentioned earlier which was a drum score with no other instruments) had the "rock drum set" missing from all instrument lists.

For some reason it has reappeared after booting Sibelius up so many times.

I think it may have had something to do with shutting down my computer- I had only been putting it on sleep mode for a few weeks and I only shut it down fully recently.

Huh.

Thanks for the tip on highlighting the instrument first though, that saves me time going through the instrument lists to find it, and will likely correct the "disappearing" problem immediately without me having to shut down/restart my computer next time it happens.

Thanks fellas!