Chord Naming Conventions

Discuss general Sibelius issues here. Get help with Sibelius and Sibelius Support.
geoscott
Sibelius Version: 8.6.0
Operating System: Mac

Post by geoscott » Fri Feb 16, 2018 4:56 am

Hi! I'm trying to write a chart for a piece of music by Frank Zappa. He was a proponent of '2' chords. Chords with no third. In Sibelius (and I assume standard practice or whatever) they're called 'Sus2' chords.

The problem is, I don't want the 'sus' part in my score. I only want it to say 'C2' or 'F#2' as it does in his scoring.

If you only use command+k to input the chord and type 'C' then ONLY '2', you get 'Cadd2' which I equally do not want.

In the 'chord symbol' preferences, there is a radio button for 'sus,add,omit' but nothing for 'don't add these at all' or something.

Is there any way to get the 'command+k' chord-naming convention without messing around with inputting 'regular text'? I'd like to use the program's automatic layout for chords and the 'tab' key rather than manually placing each one.

Thanks for any advice.
Scott
Sibelius 8.7.2
Mac OS 10.13.1

bobp

Post by bobp » Sat Feb 17, 2018 12:07 am

From the Edit Chord Symbols window, select "add2"/edit suffix/check "override appearance"/select "2"/select "Do not place suffix element in parentheses"/OK.

Then when you print "C2" in your score, it won't say C(add2)".
Bob Porter
Sibelius 7.5, W10,i5,16 GB ram,desktop

geoscott
Sibelius Version: 8.6.0
Operating System: Mac

Post by geoscott » Sun Feb 18, 2018 3:19 am

Thank you, Bob! Lovely!
Sibelius 8.7.2
Mac OS 10.13.1