Guitar Harmonics and Tabulature

Discuss general Sibelius issues here. Get help with Sibelius and Sibelius Support.
dannyp
Sibelius Version: 8.6.1
Operating System: Mac

Post by dannyp » Sun Mar 25, 2018 11:53 pm

If the answer to this is easy and I missed it I apologize . I have looked everywhere and cant figure it out . Here's what I'm trying to do.

As many of you probably know, harmonics on the guitar are often played in a different location on the fingerboard than they would be notated on the staff. It seems to me that the fix for that would to be able to enter whatever fret number you need on the tab line. The best I can tell, this is not possible in Sibelius. I do see how to change the notehead, as well as indicate the string choice (the number in a circle that is found in symbols) and the position with Roman Numerals.

For example, in the attached screenshot called "example" you can see the note I'm trying to indicate. This is a naturally occurring harmonic that is played on the sixth string, fifth fret and sounds as an E on the fourth space in treble clef. However Sibelius will only show that pitch on that string as being played on the 24th fret!

I attached another example that is correct (which I believe was done in Finale) called "notation for ending". The lowest note (which is a C# - you cant see the key sig) is a natural harmonic that is played on the 9th fret, as the tab indicates.

I realize that notating harmonics can be a bit of a confusing topic anyway, so I hope I haven't made it more so by the way Ive written this. Thanks in advance for any help.
Attachments
notation for ending.png
notation for ending.png (26.24 KiB) Viewed 3127 times
Example.png
Example.png (49.44 KiB) Viewed 3127 times

bobp

Post by bobp » Mon Mar 26, 2018 5:22 pm

Sibelius seems to be skimpy on harmonics notation.

I did the attached, but it was all from scratch.

1. add diamond symbol. turn off magnetic layout.
2. Add 6 in tiny text.
3. select it and use the arrow key to move into the symbol.
Attachments
note.jpg
note.jpg (7.78 KiB) Viewed 3114 times
Bob Porter
Sibelius 7.5, W10,i5,16 GB ram,desktop

dannyp
Sibelius Version: 8.6.1
Operating System: Mac

Post by dannyp » Mon Mar 26, 2018 5:30 pm

Interesting idea! Thanks I'll try that