Alto sax not showing up in Bb

Discuss general Sibelius issues here. Get help with Sibelius and Sibelius Support.
gbloomers
Sibelius Version: 2018.5
Operating System: Mac

Post by gbloomers » Mon May 21, 2018 3:03 pm

Hi,
Im writing an arrangement for my band at the moment but having trouble with the alto sax. I need two!

Basically what I'm writing is sounding correct for C. So when it is played in real life by an alto sax it will sound in Bb and not fit with the arrangement. How can I change it to make sure the alto sax is showing up in Bb please?

Thanks!

MikeLyons
Sibelius Version: Ult. 2024.3.1/7.5
Operating System: Windows

Post by MikeLyons » Wed May 23, 2018 3:22 pm

What version of sib are you on and have you checked whether transposition is turned on <b>in the part.</b>

If you don't know where to find this, can I politely suggest that you read the manual (press F1 with Sibelius open) and search for "Transposing instruments".
Sib 6.2, 7.5 and 2023.6, Windows 11, 32GB RAM, 16TB 7200RPM Storage, 2TB SSD, Note Performer 3.3.2, EWQLSO, EWQLSC, Harmony Assistant and some others. mike@mike-lyons.co.uk

TootSweet

Post by TootSweet » Mon May 28, 2018 4:44 pm

gbloomers wrote:Hi,
Basically what I'm writing is sounding correct for C. So when it is played in real life by an alto sax it will sound in Bb and not fit with the arrangement. How can I change it to make sure the alto sax is showing up in Bb please?

Thanks!
Alto saxophones are Eb instruments. So when you play a C on an alto, you'll hear a concert C sounding.

TootSweet

Post by TootSweet » Mon May 28, 2018 4:47 pm

Sorry, I meant a concert Eb, that's what you'll hear when you play a C on an alto (or a bari, by the way).

Soprano and tenor saxes are Bb instrunents, so when they play a C on these instruments, a Bb will sound.

andyg
Sibelius Version: 7.1.3 and 6.2
Operating System: Windows

Post by andyg » Mon May 28, 2018 9:15 pm

Mike, as well as the couple of others who answer on this unofficial forum, know that they are transposing instruments, Tootsweet! :)

So please follow the advice given and you'll be able to write your Alto Sax in concert pitch and have it appear in the score at the correct pitch for the player. Sibelius has to be told (by you) what you want it to do for these instruments.

I need to have my Alto Sax parts in concert pitch - they're going to be played on a keyboard instrument, so my requirements are different to yours. Sibelius can do both things, but you'll have to read up a little first.