Sibelius sounds issue + audio engine error

Discuss general Sibelius issues here. Get help with Sibelius and Sibelius Support.
claude
Sibelius Version: 8
Operating System: Windows

Post by claude » Mon Aug 06, 2018 1:34 pm

Hello. I’ve been having persistent issues with Sibelius sounds and am completely stuck as to what to do. I would really, really appreciate some advice!
When I start up Sibelius, I get a message saying ‘audio engine error: bad settings’. I’ve looked this up and the advice was to go to Playback Devices > Audio Engine Options > Repair and Cleanup. However, the Repair and Cleanup buttons are greyed out. Another option was to find the Sibelius.rewire file on my computer and delete it – but it is nowhere to be found! Apparently this audio engine error should mean that I can’t hear any sound on playback. However, I do have sound on playback for some reason. Nevertheless, I’d quite like to get to the bottom of this.

My second issue, which may or may not be related to the first one, is as follows…
I’m currently using General MIDI (basic) but would like Sibelius Sounds. I tried to download Sibelius sounds all at once, several times, but it was such a huge download that it could never finish without being interrupted and having to start again. I then found download links for 3 separate Sibelius Sounds Content Discs and one Program Disc, so I downloaded those. I’m led to believe downloading all these is the same as downloading the whole of Sibelius sounds in one go? However, there is no option in Sibelius for me to select Sibelius sounds instead of General MIDI. Either I’m completely mistaken and haven’t actually downloaded Sibelius sounds, or all the files I did download (the content and program discs) are in the wrong place on my computer. Where should they be?

I would really appreciate some help with either of these issues. I’m at my wits end having been trying to sort this out for ages! Thank you in advance.

Edit: forgot to mention, I'm running Sibelius 8 on Windows 10, 64-bit.

andyg
Sibelius Version: 7.1.3 and 6.2
Operating System: Windows

Post by andyg » Mon Aug 06, 2018 1:46 pm

I'd ask this question on the official Sibelius section, rather than on here. In fact, if you go there and search I'll bet it's been answered many times.

https://www.sibelius.com/cgi-bin/helpce ... ?groupid=3

bobp

Post by bobp » Mon Aug 06, 2018 11:00 pm

I believe that Sibelius is download only now, so the discs you downloaded are more that likely for an older version. They might work, but not without updates. You really need to get to a proper broadband connection and download the correct version of sounds. I suggest hooking up wired to your modem, rather than wireless. It's always faster.

General midi is always a problem of some kind. And always a last resort.
Bob Porter
Sibelius 7.5, W10,i5,16 GB ram,desktop