Help with creating a handbell score?

Discuss general Sibelius issues here. Get help with Sibelius and Sibelius Support.
jdecker
Sibelius Version: 7
Operating System: Mac

Post by jdecker » Mon Sep 17, 2018 6:18 pm

Hey everyone,

I'm posting to ask about how to create a successful handbell score. I've been ringing handbells for about 9 years and I've been using Sibelius to create scores (mostly SATB and string quartet arrangements) for just over 4 years. I'm running Sibelius First 7 on a Mac.

There doesn't seem to be any good options for how to create a handbell score, including the special symbols for mart, mart lift, dampen, etc, nor does there seem to be a way to add the needed bells at the top of the score as is customary. I've never worked with plugins before, but something tells me I might need to use plugins to make this happen? Any help in very simple terms would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!
Jeff

bobp

Post by bobp » Tue Sep 18, 2018 10:49 pm

I wouldn't be surprised if your version of Sibelius doesn't have any option for handbells. Small comfort that full versions have all you have asked for. Worth a look through your manual, though.
Bob Porter
Sibelius 7.5, W10,i5,16 GB ram,desktop

dutchqmomma
Sibelius Version: 6
Operating System: Windows

Post by dutchqmomma » Sun Dec 01, 2019 11:17 pm

I have Sibelius 6 on Win 7. I just discovered this myself.

Go to Create>Instruments OR to start with that line in a new score, press the CHANGE INSTRUMENTS button beneath the type of score you are creating in the opening window of a new document. In the CHANGE INSTRUMENTS window, you have several panels. In the top left, select ALL INSTRUMENTS. In the panel beneath that, select PITCHED PERCUSSION.
In the middle panel, scroll up or down to find HANDBELLS. Then, press the button ADD TO SCORE. OK to exit that window and now a line for Handbells is in your score.

And there you have it!

andyg
Sibelius Version: 7.1.3 and 6.2
Operating System: Windows

Post by andyg » Mon Dec 02, 2019 11:13 am

But, AFAIK, only if you have a FULL version of Sibelius, like 6, 7 or, as it's now known, Sibelius Ultimate.

The original cut down Sibelius FIrst, now just called Sibelius, and the new, even more cut-down (and almost useless IMHO) Sibelius First won't let you do much more than producing basic scores.