Exporting parts

Discuss general Sibelius issues here. Get help with Sibelius and Sibelius Support.
lexiconical
Sibelius Version: 8.7
Operating System: Mac

Post by lexiconical » Wed Oct 17, 2018 10:24 pm

I am currently trying to export a PDF of a woodwind quintet with a score and parts all in one file. I had to create parts while I was working on it (parts in new tabs is the way I've learned how to do it, not sure if there's another way) in order to check notations and accidentals.

The problem is that now that I've made those 'part tabs', when I try to export this PDF, Sib decides that I've created two parts per instrument. So, for instance, the list of my parts looks like:

Flute
Flute
Oboe
Oboe

I'm not sure why this is happening, since there is really only one part per instrument. Even when I deleted the tabs, the double parts are still there, and I can't delete them from the export page. It's super annoying to try to work around this issue.

Thanks for your help.

MikeLyons
Sibelius Version: Ult. 2024.3.1/7.5
Operating System: Windows

Post by MikeLyons » Thu Oct 18, 2018 5:33 am

You should not have two parts with an identical name, even if they are identical parts. This is what is confusing sibelius. Rename the parts in the score.

Just some thoughts:
Other people's understanding of the terminology can often be confusing.
Which version of sib and which os are you using as there are differences
If you are using sib 6 or higher, new dynamic parts are created for each instrument automatically when you create them in the score
Your description indicates to me that you have a score with two flute parts and two oboe parts.
My first solution would be to delete all the parts using the button in the parts tab (Sib 7 and up) or the parts list (Sib 6)
Next click "New Part" and say yes when sib asks if you want to create a full set of parts.
You should now only have the same number of parts as you have instruments in the score.
You will have to redo any formatting in the re-created parts, but it's a small price to pay for restored sanity!

Closing the tabs (you can't delete them) does not delete the parts.
Make time to read your manual about dynamic parts.
Sib 6.2, 7.5 and 2023.6, Windows 11, 32GB RAM, 16TB 7200RPM Storage, 2TB SSD, Note Performer 3.3.2, EWQLSO, EWQLSC, Harmony Assistant and some others. mike@mike-lyons.co.uk

lexiconical
Sibelius Version: 8.7
Operating System: Mac

Post by lexiconical » Fri Oct 19, 2018 7:11 pm

Deleting the parts from the parts tab did the trick, but I’m still a little confused. You say that sib automatically generates parts when you create a score. If so, where can I find them? The only way I’ve ever found of seeing parts separately is by making new parts. I’m using version 8.7.1.

MikeLyons
Sibelius Version: Ult. 2024.3.1/7.5
Operating System: Windows

Post by MikeLyons » Fri Oct 19, 2018 7:52 pm

No. You need to read the section of the manual on Dynamic parts.

With the score in front of you, press the letter w. It will (usually) open a tab showing the top part. You can edit the format and layout of the part without affecting the layout of the score and vice versa.

Altering the pitch or length of the note in either score or part will change the pitch or duration of the note in both.

Using the Parts tab, you can create extra parts with different transpositions which are also linked to the score and the copied parts (eg horn in F and horn in Eb)
Sib 6.2, 7.5 and 2023.6, Windows 11, 32GB RAM, 16TB 7200RPM Storage, 2TB SSD, Note Performer 3.3.2, EWQLSO, EWQLSC, Harmony Assistant and some others. mike@mike-lyons.co.uk