How to control rate of ritard/accelerando

Discuss general Sibelius issues here. Get help with Sibelius and Sibelius Support.
chuckpuckett
Sibelius Version: 7.5.1
Operating System: Windows

Post by chuckpuckett » Wed Oct 24, 2018 9:04 pm

I need to ramp up fairly quickly. I want to go from approx 118 to 145 or 150. I've tried accel and molto accel, but neither ramp sufficiently, and the tempo changes very abruptly.

I expect there is an easy way to somehow specify the rate of tempo increase, but I don't know how.

Thanks for any enlightenment!
Chuck Puckett
Against stupidity, the gods themselves strive in vain.
I don’t want to steal the show. I only want to borrow it for a while.

KJ_Palmer
Sibelius Version: 6.2, 7.5

Post by KJ_Palmer » Thu Oct 25, 2018 1:05 am

The note at which you place the Rit. and Accel. marks the point of the final tempo, so if you drag these to the left the starting point will change accordingly.

If you don't want the dotted line to appear between the start/end points choose (poco/molto) Rit./Accel (Text only) instead.

You can change the behaviour of the marking by clicking on the rit/accel. mark and bringing up the Inspector (Ctrl + Shift + I in Windows) and choosing the final tempo as a percentage of the original or as a bpm no., and choose whether to rit/accel Early or Late or Linearly from the marking.

Hope that does what you want!
Sibelius 6.2, 7.5.1, Windows 11

MikeLyons
Sibelius Version: Ult. 2024.3.1/7.5

Post by MikeLyons » Thu Oct 25, 2018 5:13 am

Whether KJ Palmer's instructions will work or not depends on your version of Sibelius. I'm fairly certain that in one of the 7.x releases the rit/accel lines were broken. The result was that even though you made changes in the Inspector, they reverted to default settings.
Sib 6.2, 7.5 and 2023.6, Windows 11, 32GB RAM, 16TB 7200RPM Storage, 2TB SSD, Note Performer 3.3.2, EWQLSO, EWQLSC, Harmony Assistant and some others. mike@mike-lyons.co.uk