Extra beats in the bar issue

Discuss general Sibelius issues here. Get help with Sibelius and Sibelius Support.
elruinc
Sibelius Version: 2018.7
Operating System: Mac

Post by elruinc » Sat Nov 24, 2018 11:15 pm

Hello friends.

Attached is a screen shot for reference

I have an issue with extra beats appearing in just one staff. I'm not really sure how to look this problem up. I've tried a few different approaches but they all kind of lead to dead ends or other topics entirely. If you look at the attached screenshot you will see 3 staves. the first 2 are completely normal while the 3rd has phantom additional beats. I don't understand how to make them go away. I clear the measure and it looks normal until I start entering notes into it. Once I start, the phantom beats appear.

I know where the problem has come from (at least I suspect I do). I work with another person who uses finale for his work. He has me revamping some of his finale charts for a new project. I'm not a great finale guy (at all...though I plan to learn) so I export as xml and bring it into Sibelius. I have done this dozens of times w/o this issue, granted it can get quite messy I've never encountered this specifically before.

I found a work around to this issue already by adding 2 measures before the 2 problem measures, copying all necessary info, pasting, deleting the problem measures. However, I would like to better understand the issue if I could. Does anyone have any thoughts?

Thanks!

Eric
Attachments
Screen_Shot_2018-11-24_at_6.01.13_PM.jpg
Screen_Shot_2018-11-24_at_6.01.13_PM.jpg (23.74 KiB) Viewed 1763 times

MikeLyons
Sibelius Version: Ult. 2024.3.1/7.5
Operating System: Windows

Post by MikeLyons » Sun Nov 25, 2018 6:50 am

It's quite simple, really. xml transfer is not perfect. Finale allows you to input incorrect bars. Put those together and this is the result!

Best method - after import, use the plugin Find Irregular and Misfilled Bars to show any incorrect bars, then delete any extra rests in those bars.
Sib 6.2, 7.5 and 2023.6, Windows 11, 32GB RAM, 16TB 7200RPM Storage, 2TB SSD, Note Performer 3.3.2, EWQLSO, EWQLSC, Harmony Assistant and some others. mike@mike-lyons.co.uk