Full disk drive error message, sibelius 6

Discuss general Sibelius issues here. Get help with Sibelius and Sibelius Support.
tonywin4228

Post by tonywin4228 » Fri Nov 30, 2018 7:50 pm

Hi people, I'm freaking out a little bit so bear with me.

The desktop I've been using (Windows 10) has two drives (C and D) which I can save to. This computer was used at another company before my use, so the C drive is completely full of system files and not really cleanable. the D drive was empty when I got it, so I save to that. The problem is that autosave automatically goes into the C drive.

Before today, I would just get a message saying autosave was not available, but I would save my files regularly and all was fine. I saved everything normally at the last close.

NOW, when I try to open any of my files - including the musical which I have been working on for two years - I get the error message, "There was an error opening the score D:\Scores\(title).sib: this file seems to be corrupted. Look in the backups folder for recent versions of files you have saved." This error even opens for scores which I have not worked on in a long time, or since my drive filled up. There is also nothing in my backup scores folder, especially for files which I save regularly.

Can anyone help me with this? I can try putting my Sibelius on another computer, but that would be a lot of work which I would much rather not do.

Thank you in advance for any help you can give.

tonywin4228

Post by tonywin4228 » Fri Nov 30, 2018 7:56 pm

Ok, so I found a few backup files in the C drive, but when I try opening them I get another error message: "There was an error opening the score C:\Scores\Backup scores\title.sib: an error occurred while saving - perhaps the disk you're saving to is full."

This would be very concerning for me, but last time I exited, all of my files saved just fine. I didn't need the backups.

MikeLyons
Sibelius Version: Ult. 2024.3.1/7.5
Operating System: Windows

Post by MikeLyons » Sat Dec 01, 2018 9:15 am

You need to make some room on the C drive. There is no way around this.

There is always rubbish and odd bits of code piling up in your temp folder and other places. Have tried cleaning? (properties-->tools) look for files that haven't been accessed for 12 months or so, programs you havent used for at least that long. All these can be gotten rid of.
Sib 6.2, 7.5 and 2023.6, Windows 11, 32GB RAM, 16TB 7200RPM Storage, 2TB SSD, Note Performer 3.3.2, EWQLSO, EWQLSC, Harmony Assistant and some others. mike@mike-lyons.co.uk

bobp

Post by bobp » Tue Dec 11, 2018 4:15 am

When the drive that contains the OS gets past 80% full, funny things start to happen. If Windows is on the C drive, and it is full, then you are stuck. What do you mean by "system files"? Is the other company still using this computer? If not, should be able to copy their files somewhere else if you don't feel you can delete them.
Not difficult to move Sibelius to another computer. Deactivate the old computer, copy your scores file. Install Sibelius on different computer, copy scores file to different computer. Only difficult if you don't have your Sibelius disc.
Bob Porter
Sibelius 7.5, W10,i5,16 GB ram,desktop

Stevenvoifs
Sibelius Version: yes
Operating System: Windows

Post by Stevenvoifs » Mon Jan 14, 2019 7:25 pm

hi all