Fix accidentals after changing key

Discuss general Sibelius issues here. Get help with Sibelius and Sibelius Support.
trosspilot
Sibelius Version: 7.5
Operating System: Windows

Post by trosspilot » Tue Mar 05, 2019 6:26 am

I'm having an issue that basically arises through writing music without immediate regard to the key signature, such as in a piece with shifting tonalities. It's pretty much exactly the issue mentioned by the OP in a forum post at an official Sibelius article with the title "'Sib. 7.0: Fix accidentals after changing key?'". I will just copy the text from that post (can't post links), which makes the issue explicit:
When you open a MIDI file in Sibelius for the first time, with no key signature, it takes the MIDI note numbers and translates them to notes on a staff; so if middle C is note 60 (which it is) then when it sees note 66 it says "should this be F# or Gb?" and when there's no key signature it goes by whatever the rules of "no key signature" are and writes the more common F#. But if there IS a key signature, say Db major, it will write that note 66 as a Gb (which because of the key signature is written as just a Gb). Or if the key is Ab major it will still write that note as a Gb because of whatever the Ab major rules are.

I know there is a function, maybe a plugin but I think not, that says "okay I know I translated the MIDI note numbers before with no key signature. Now I'm going to translate those MIDI note numbers again, using the rules of the key signatures that are now in place in the score."

That question went unanswered, so hopefully someone is aware of what to do here.

MikeLyons
Sibelius Version: Ult. 2024.3.1/7.5

Post by MikeLyons » Tue Mar 05, 2019 6:51 am

There is a plugin called Simplify accidentals which will look at any KS in your music and change the accidentals to fit the key. If you are in a flat key, it will generally prefer flats. if in a sharp key, it will generally prefer sharps. But it can't read your mind - nor that of the person who created the MIDI file - so sometimes it will make the wrong choice for a given situation.

It might get better results if you choose one section in one key at a time..

BTW, you are much less likely to get an answer here than in the main forum. Maybe your question wasn't answered there because it is way too convoluted. It took me a good 5 minutes to be sure I knew what you wanted.
Sib 6.2, 7.5 and 2023.6, Windows 11, 32GB RAM, 16TB 7200RPM Storage, 2TB SSD, Note Performer 3.3.2, EWQLSO, EWQLSC, Harmony Assistant and some others. mike@mike-lyons.co.uk

trosspilot

Post by trosspilot » Tue Mar 05, 2019 7:41 am

Thanks for the answer. That actually wasn't my question, but a question I found on that forum that has the same issue. I just pasted the part of the thread that was most relevant, sorry for not giving more context.

My 7.5 copy is a few years old, and until now I never tried to access the forums. I spent an hour trying to use Avid's system to see how I can gain access, to no avail. I'm not sure it's worth my time to persist with that.

andyg
Sibelius Version: 7.1.3 and 6.2

Post by andyg » Tue Mar 05, 2019 8:01 am

Did you go straight here and try to register? A long time since I did that and I can't recall exactly how I did it!

https://www.sibelius.com/cgi-bin/helpce ... ?groupid=3

trosspilot

Post by trosspilot » Tue Mar 05, 2019 8:20 am

I did, but since I have an educational copy I don't actually have a serial number, and the method I used to obtain it a few years ago is no longer working, etc... yeah, a bit of a headache.

MikeLyons
Sibelius Version: Ult. 2024.3.1/7.5

Post by MikeLyons » Tue Mar 05, 2019 10:52 pm

I definitely had a serial number for my educational versions of sib up to about 5 or 6. If you still have the box, see if there's some paperwork in there. I seem to remember it came on an insert in the box.
Sib 6.2, 7.5 and 2023.6, Windows 11, 32GB RAM, 16TB 7200RPM Storage, 2TB SSD, Note Performer 3.3.2, EWQLSO, EWQLSC, Harmony Assistant and some others. mike@mike-lyons.co.uk

bobp

Post by bobp » Fri Mar 08, 2019 4:15 am

In those days the only difference between the "educational" and full version was.....nothing except the price. Definitely a registration code for 7.5.
Bob Porter
Sibelius 7.5, W10,i5,16 GB ram,desktop

ShirleeFairbanks
Sibelius Version: 7.5.0

Post by ShirleeFairbanks » Tue Mar 19, 2019 9:43 am

There is a module called Simplify accidentals which will take a gander at any KS in your music and change the accidentals to fit the key. On the off chance that you are in a level key, it will by and large incline toward pads. in the https://urdu.arynews.tv/ event that in a sharp key, it will by and large incline toward sharps. In any case, it can't peruse your psyche - nor that of the individual who made the MIDI record - so some of the time it will settle on the wrong decision for a given circumstance.