transferring a score from an earlier version of sibelius

Discuss general Sibelius issues here. Get help with Sibelius and Sibelius Support.
JakeBrandeis
Sibelius Version: 7.1.3
Operating System: Mac

Post by JakeBrandeis » Mon Apr 08, 2019 5:17 pm

Helllo!

So, I've got kind of a specific problem. I'm a student at Brandeis working with a faculty scholar through a program at the university, and we're transcribing a piece of music using Sibelius. Problem is, we're working on two different versions of Sibelius; mine older than hers. Due to this, if we ever want to transfer scores to each other to edit or revise, we have to use a music XML fine instead of a .sib file. The only problem with this is that the use of a .xml file often causes small errors throughout the notation. Since this is a large piece, it takes a significant amount of time to go through and check for whatever random mistakes the file makes when transferring to a newer/older version of Sibelius and correct them. We'd like to avoid that time for corrections, since we have limited time to work on this project. Is there any easier way to transfer files between version of Sibelius while preserving the correct notation? Is there an incredibly obvious solution that I'm just missing? Any help on this is appreciated.

Thank you in advance!

andyg
Sibelius Version: 7.1.3 and 6.2
Operating System: Windows

Post by andyg » Mon Apr 08, 2019 5:25 pm

You don't need to use XML at all.

Ask her to 'Export' the file or 'Save' as a previous version Sibelius file. So if she has the latest version and you have Sibelius 6.2, for example, she can export or save as a version 6.2 file. The exact procedure varies a little depending on what version she has but it will only be a few more mouse clicks than normal. You save as normal, her later version will open your files with no problems.