Score with video 'ceasing' to work

Discuss general Sibelius issues here. Get help with Sibelius and Sibelius Support.
langmead
Sibelius Version: 7.5
Operating System: Windows

Post by langmead » Fri May 10, 2019 12:32 pm

I have a 24 minute Quicktime video in 720HD (ie low resolution) with sound track (1.7GB) that does not 'load' and delivers a white screen (no picture) but with sound from the video and from the score. I cannot get any video to work with this score. All my other video/score files work fine. i9, GTX1080Ti, 64GB ram, operating on 2TB M.2 ssds. One file was appended to another with full orchestration and other pieces were added to make stems for one act. The display driver was updated yesterday, but loading the score file is causing the computer to crash. 289kB.

Now it seems no video is loading. Why it should erode like this I have no idea. Please help.

bobp

Post by bobp » Fri May 10, 2019 7:21 pm

I wonder....

A quick read of the manual says that QT is a 32 bit software and might not work if you are running the 64 bit Sibelius. Also QT is not officially supported in later versions of windows. What OS are you using?
Bob Porter
Sibelius 7.5, W10,i5,16 GB ram,desktop

langmead

Post by langmead » Sat May 11, 2019 7:44 am

Thanks BobP. It seems it was the 1080Ti driver, which was quickly replaced the next day. I found it interesting the system 'got better', didn't just work but improved! Can't explain that at all. Anyway, all back working, which was a relief.

langmead

Post by langmead » Sat May 11, 2019 7:48 am

Also interesting what you say about QT, which I have always been using as it happens and never had any problems before. I did try mp4 but, at the time, it did not work either. Anyway, resolved.

langmead

Post by langmead » Sat May 11, 2019 7:51 am

Windows 10

bobp

Post by bobp » Sat May 11, 2019 4:22 pm

Makes sense it was the video driver. Can't say I've ever had an nvidia problem, but I know it happens. Glad it's working now.
Bob Porter

langmead

Post by langmead » Sat May 18, 2019 12:20 pm

This problem of Sibelius 7.5 of not being able to play either Quicktime and MP4 is persisting, and I am rather desperate. Does any anyone have any explanation or suggestion for getting the programme to work? Please.

bobp

Post by bobp » Sat May 18, 2019 5:14 pm

I've never done anything with video and Sibelius before, though I've thought about it. So this morning I gave it a shot. I must say the whole process is quite clunky on my laptop. However, I was able to produce a short video file with a score of mine. I had to convert an mp4 file from my phone to a wmv. That was the only format I could begin to use. Avi only sort of worked. The manual says that Sibelius will use any format the computer will play. Not true on my laptop. I will try it on my desktop, which is far more powerful.
But it seems to make a difference what video format you use.
I'll post after trying the desktop.
Bob Porter

langmead

Post by langmead » Sun May 19, 2019 7:55 am

Hi Bob,
Thanks for being interested. I am using 64-bit for everything. wmplayer is included in win10 and is v12 I believe. Latest QT is with Davinci Resolve Studio, I believe. Preferences are set to QT, although it does not seem to make a difference. The files are all .mov, 720HD when I remember or 1080HD by default: no difference. although again it doesn't seem to mean much, and when the videos load they are Windows Media in the frame. The challenge is consistency: if I load a file on its own the frame will open but it may or may not load the video, with some pieces more temperamental that others; if I load a batch of files, it seems more likely the video clips will load. This is now my 'modus operandi' and it is only slightly inconvenient. As I said above, the problem arose after updating the display driver (GTX1080Ti). I went to check the display driver on the laptop, which found codecs are not available for the .mov file (i7, 64-bit win10), so this hypothesis is wrong. We haven't used .avi for years, nor .mpg but .mov is mp4 and should work on both .wmv and .mov. I tried converting to .wmv but it made no difference. I love the method so I hope you can help. Thank you.

i9, 64GB RAM, RAID0, M.2 operating and processing, QT video from Davinci Resolve 16 beta.