Play a single bar differently the 2nd time?

Discuss general Sibelius issues here. Get help with Sibelius and Sibelius Support.
raymondkosos
Sibelius Version: Sibelius First
Operating System: Windows

Post by raymondkosos » Fri Jul 26, 2019 11:01 pm

Trying to figure out the notation for this (if its possible). I have a large section of 21 bars. That large section of bars repeats (there is an end-repeat barline at bar 21). What I'm trying to accomplish is having one bar in the middle of the section play differently upon the the 2nd repeat of the section. Specifically, for bar 7 i want note C to play for the duration of the bar, but upon the 2nd repeat, i want bar 7 to play F and then C within the bar.

I thought I could accomplish this by using a First Ending mark on bar 7 and a Second Ending mark on bar 8 but Sibelius plays back both bars. I am probably using the wrong notation as most examples of First and Second ending I am finding seem to actually be at the end of the section (bar 21) and the First Ending always contains the end-repeat barline where my "alternate" bar is in the middle of the piece (bar 7) with no end-repeat within it.

I suppose I could just make a note to play bar 7 different upon repeat but was hoping I could get Sibelius playback to understand what I'm trying to accomplish. I could also just copy and paste those 21 bars and change that one bar but i'm not crazy about that solution either. Please advise.

KJ_Palmer
Sibelius Version: 6.2, 7.5

Post by KJ_Palmer » Sat Jul 27, 2019 1:03 am

Probably the easiest way to achieve this is by using the Play on pass facility within the Inspector (Ctrl Shift I).

All you need do is add your alternative note or notes in the bar in a new voice (e.g. voice 3) and set or deselect the play on pass for each note accordingly (ie. 1 or 2).

You may also want to hide any rests incurred in the new voice, and add an appropriate text comment, e.g. Play 1st time / 2nd time, etc.

Hope that makes sense.
Sibelius 6.2, 7.5.1, Windows 11

MikeLyons
Sibelius Version: Ult. 2024.3.1/7.5

Post by MikeLyons » Sat Jul 27, 2019 8:21 am

This is the correct solution, but I would use voice 2 for the 2nd time notes. This sort of thing often happens in choral music when the subsequent verses have a different rhythm in places.
Sib 6.2, 7.5 and 2023.6, Windows 11, 32GB RAM, 16TB 7200RPM Storage, 2TB SSD, Note Performer 3.3.2, EWQLSO, EWQLSC, Harmony Assistant and some others. mike@mike-lyons.co.uk

raymondkosos
Sibelius Version: Sibelius First

Post by raymondkosos » Tue Jul 30, 2019 8:53 pm

Thanks! Unfortunately I'm a Sibelius First user; the inspector doesn't seem be available. I'll use the copy and paste method to work around my issue; it's not a big deal; was just hoping for some brevity in my score. I'll also make a note that the Inspector is a good reason to upgrade in the future ...

MikeLyons
Sibelius Version: Ult. 2024.3.1/7.5

Post by MikeLyons » Thu Aug 01, 2019 8:52 am

If you DO upgrade go for the full ultimate version. Sibelius is not worth the money. It used to be called Sibelius first and, basically, it's crippled.

If you are working or a student at an educational establishment you can get sib ultimate a heck of a lot cheaper.
Sib 6.2, 7.5 and 2023.6, Windows 11, 32GB RAM, 16TB 7200RPM Storage, 2TB SSD, Note Performer 3.3.2, EWQLSO, EWQLSC, Harmony Assistant and some others. mike@mike-lyons.co.uk