Unable to open Sibelius after Windows update

Discuss general Sibelius issues here. Get help with Sibelius and Sibelius Support.
andrewd
Sibelius Version: 8.4.2.231
Operating System: Windows

Post by andrewd » Sun Aug 04, 2019 9:57 pm

Hi. Looking for urgent help please! I am using Sib 8.4.2.231 with Windows 10. My system is an HP ProBook 450 G2 (64-bit), Intel i7-5500U CPU at 2.40 GHz, 16.0 GB RAM. I have an SSD with 250 GB free. I have just had a Windows update, KB4023057; 2.61.0.0. It was quite a major one, and included several restarts. I am now unable to open Sibelius, although the Application Manager shows that my Sibelius is activated.

Should I uninstall the new update, or should I de-activate then re-activate Sibelius? Or is there (preferably) some work-around available? Thank you in advance!

Update: I tried deactivating Sibelius then re-activating it. The reactivation was successful but I am still unable to open Sibelius.

MikeLyons
Sibelius Version: Ult. 2024.3.1/7.5

Post by MikeLyons » Mon Aug 05, 2019 6:53 am

If it were me, I'd try a reinstall of the main sib. Don't bother reinstalling the sounds.

If this doesn't help, try watching the 'splash screen' to see if you can determine where it is hanging - this information is usually displayed in the bottom LH corner.
Sib 6.2, 7.5 and 2023.6, Windows 11, 32GB RAM, 16TB 7200RPM Storage, 2TB SSD, Note Performer 3.3.2, EWQLSO, EWQLSC, Harmony Assistant and some others. mike@mike-lyons.co.uk

andrewd

Post by andrewd » Mon Aug 05, 2019 9:03 am

MikeLyons wrote:If it were me, I'd try a reinstall of the main sib. Don't bother reinstalling the sounds.

If this doesn't help, try watching the 'splash screen' to see if you can determine where it is hanging - this information is usually displayed in the bottom LH corner.
Thank you Mike. I have just worked out how to do this. Presumably everyone with my version of Sibelius will have to do likewise if they install this Windows update.

1. Go to the Sibelius Application Manager. Press "Deactivate"
2. Restart the computer. (This is what I omitted to do earlier.)
3. Go to the Sibelius Application Manager. Press "Activate". (It should automatically load.)

Cheers, Andrew

bobp

Post by bobp » Mon Aug 05, 2019 3:21 pm

I wonder what would have happened had you started from the Sib exe file in the Program folder? Some times desktop icons get corrupted and loose association with the program. Just a thought. Glad you got it going.
Bob Porter
Sibelius 7.5, W10,i5,16 GB ram,desktop

andrewd

Post by andrewd » Mon Aug 05, 2019 9:38 pm

bobp wrote:I wonder what would have happened had you started from the Sib exe file in the Program folder? Some times desktop icons get corrupted and loose association with the program. Just a thought. Glad you got it going.
Thank you Bob. I think the problem is related to the measures Avid took to prevent the use of illegal copies, because I had a similar problem when I tried to use wireless headphones. I eventually discovered that Sib had to be closed whenever the headphones were turned on or off, or it would automatically deactivate. Now my nice new headphones sit unused. I sympathise with what Avid were trying to achieve, but they should provide a patch to fix that bug!

MikeLyons
Sibelius Version: Ult. 2024.3.1/7.5

Post by MikeLyons » Tue Aug 06, 2019 6:05 am

You've never been able to use a device if it is added to the device list while sibelius is running. It's not a bug. Adding a new audio device while a program is using a different device will almost always cause a crash. Sibelius wisely, IMO, needs to initialise each device as it starts.
Sib 6.2, 7.5 and 2023.6, Windows 11, 32GB RAM, 16TB 7200RPM Storage, 2TB SSD, Note Performer 3.3.2, EWQLSO, EWQLSC, Harmony Assistant and some others. mike@mike-lyons.co.uk

bobp

Post by bobp » Fri Aug 09, 2019 2:27 pm

I've been thinking about this for a few days now. Of all the odd things software can do this is about the strangest. Software deactivating itself when wireless headphones are turned on? Unfortunately I don't have any wireless headphones to test this. I might be able to borrow some. Best I've been able to do is turn on a wireless computer keyboard while Sibelius is running. No effect, but also not an audio device. I could understand Sibelius not recognizing the headphones, but to deactivate itself? And how would that keep you from copying the software? You just can't save anything, if I remember. I don't remember if it is possible to copy a program from an existing installation. I've copied the installation exe. files plenty of times so I can install on a new computer.
Anyway, just some thoughts.
Bob Porter
Sibelius 7.5, W10,i5,16 GB ram,desktop