Changing all bar rests to normal rests

Discuss general Sibelius issues here. Get help with Sibelius and Sibelius Support.
misterbg3
Sibelius Version: 7-ultimate
Operating System: Windows

Post by misterbg3 » Sat Aug 31, 2019 10:54 pm

Hello,

Is it possible to transform all 'bar rests' into normal rests?

Although Bar rests can be useful, it would help readability for me especially
in cases where the time signature is odd or just different from a 4/4.
Is it possible to either turn off a feature that automatically creates bar rests, or select all bar rests and, as opposed to 'bar rests' have, for example,
a bar that is in 9/16 to display three dotted-eights, or 9 16ths, (Variation of it doesn't matter as long as it presents the value of the bar).
sample.png
sample.png (35.31 KiB) Viewed 3169 times
Thank you

MikeLyons
Sibelius Version: Ult. 2024.3.1/7.5

Post by MikeLyons » Sun Sep 01, 2019 7:47 am

If you select all the bars concerned and press any value on the numpad smaller than your bar's length, the bar rests will be broken up.
Sib 6.2, 7.5 and 2023.6, Windows 11, 32GB RAM, 16TB 7200RPM Storage, 2TB SSD, Note Performer 3.3.2, EWQLSO, EWQLSC, Harmony Assistant and some others. mike@mike-lyons.co.uk

misterbg3

Post by misterbg3 » Wed Sep 04, 2019 2:47 pm

MikeLyons wrote:If you select all the bars concerned and press any value on the numpad smaller than your bar's length, the bar rests will be broken up.
Hi Mike,

This is very helpful. To push a bit further, is there a way in which there can simply be no bar rests without manual changing of that sort?
The reason I ask is because if it were automated, it would likely look cleaner than, for example, the image below.
rest sample.png
rest sample.png (127.26 KiB) Viewed 3128 times

MikeLyons

Post by MikeLyons » Thu Sep 05, 2019 7:03 am

In a word, no.

Is there a reason why you want this? You are going against the grain for most people - and for the history of musical writing.
Sib 6.2, 7.5 and 2023.6, Windows 11, 32GB RAM, 16TB 7200RPM Storage, 2TB SSD, Note Performer 3.3.2, EWQLSO, EWQLSC, Harmony Assistant and some others. mike@mike-lyons.co.uk

misterbg3

Post by misterbg3 » Thu Sep 05, 2019 1:56 pm

Mike, it would help readability when time signatures interchange often and are quite irregular. It would significantly help with counting when I and my partners read it/ learn it. The other problem with the solution above is that, if I select the entire score and only filter to select bar rests, I am unable to change them by selecting a rhythmic note. It only changes one of the bar rests. For that reason I hoped as well, that it can simply be turned 'off'. It seems I can only do so when I select the whole bar of the bar rest, but not when I select the rest itself - and I'm not able to filter only bars that have the bar rest. Is there a different filter I should use?
Sure it's not common, but I thought I would inquire because it would help me personally

MikeLyons

Post by MikeLyons » Thu Sep 05, 2019 4:31 pm

Definitely not.

If you do it when you first start a score and when you add new time sigs (the bar rests will return). Maybe it would be an idea to do a section of the music at a time.

BTW, if you press the rest value twice (or more) it will continue breaking the bar down into that value until the whole bar(s) is full of that size rest.

There's a possibility that it could be done in a plugin, but you'll either have to do that yourself or hope someone else will write one.