Difficulty selecting objects

Discuss general Sibelius issues here. Get help with Sibelius and Sibelius Support.
DavidAShenton
Sibelius Version: Ultimate
Operating System: Windows

Post by DavidAShenton » Sat Sep 21, 2019 6:47 pm

Hi all,

Since upgrading to Sibelius Ultimate I have had, numerous times, issues trying to select certain objects, mainly text.

When I try to select a Chord Symbol, for example, the mouse cursor defaults to those little white boxes attaching themselves to the text. Often it takes me a dozen or more clicks to 'grab' or 'select' the object, even if I zoom in to 500%. Has anybody else experienced this issue, which is, frankly, rather annoying and wastes valuable time...

Furthermore, when trying to click on a blank section of the page to drag the score around, often you cannot avoid clicking those same white boxes, which are all hidden and attached to various objects. Today I simply could not click on any blank section because the mouse kept finding these hidden squares (whatever they are called). Any help/advice appreciated!

Best,

DS

bobp

Post by bobp » Sun Sep 22, 2019 5:34 am

Can't say I understand. I might need a screen shot.
Bob Porter
Sibelius 7.5, W10,i5,16 GB ram,desktop

MikeLyons
Sibelius Version: Ult. 2024.3.1/7.5

Post by MikeLyons » Sun Sep 22, 2019 8:03 am

Those little boxes are called "Handles". For some time, text has been handled differently than it was in Sib 6, using frames. These frames are a bloody nuisance when working with small items. The only workaround I have is to zoom in on the oject until the handles stop being a problem.
Sib 6.2, 7.5 and 2023.6, Windows 11, 32GB RAM, 16TB 7200RPM Storage, 2TB SSD, Note Performer 3.3.2, EWQLSO, EWQLSC, Harmony Assistant and some others. mike@mike-lyons.co.uk

bobp

Post by bobp » Mon Sep 23, 2019 2:16 am

Odd, because they are blue on any of my systems.
Bob Porter
Sibelius 7.5, W10,i5,16 GB ram,desktop

DavidAShenton
Sibelius Version: Ultimate

Post by DavidAShenton » Fri Sep 27, 2019 1:54 pm

bobp wrote:
Sun Sep 22, 2019 5:34 am
Can't say I understand. I might need a screen shot.
I'll try to get one for you to see. Thanks for the reply. Per the reply below, the 'handles' (as I have discovered they're called thanks to MikeLyons) are often unavoidable. Today it took me about 15 seconds to select a single chord symbol even when I zoomed all the way in because all the mouse would select is the handle. Annoying... I wish they'd take them away. In other news, Ctrl, Shift, Alt + F for Advanced Filter no longer works. I have to use the taskbar. Another annoyance....

UPDATE: I attached a file showing all the handles that are created but never used and just get in the way. Any advice appreciated!
Attachments
Handle Sibelius issues-page-001.jpg
Handle Sibelius issues-page-001.jpg (90.47 KiB) Viewed 2742 times