Export PDF from transposing score

Discuss general Sibelius issues here. Get help with Sibelius and Sibelius Support.
ScottBrownlee

Post by ScottBrownlee » Tue Oct 01, 2019 8:37 pm

Hello all. I have an orchestral piece in Sibelius 7.5, loaded as a transposing score so I can push the appropriate button to change it back and forth from concert pitch. I need to export all the individual parts as PDFs so I can read them while playing the parts into Pro Tools. Even when I turn off the "Transposing Score" selection, though, all my parts are exported in transposed pitch rather than concert pitch. This is great if I have actual horn players performing the part, but I don't...I want them in concert pitch so I can play them in with my keyboard.

I appear to be able to change each one individually and then export it, but that is pretty time-consuming. Is there a way to export PDFs of all the individual parts at once, but keep them in concert pitch?

bobp

Post by bobp » Tue Oct 01, 2019 10:07 pm

You have two choices for individual parts export. At least in 7.5
1. Selection of Parts (separate files). Select the parts you want as transposing. Then set your score to non-transposing and select the parts you want printed as non-transposing.

2. Selection of parts (one file) does the same thing but makes one file instead of individual ones.
Bob Porter
Sibelius 7.5, W10,i5,16 GB ram,desktop

ScottBrownlee

Post by ScottBrownlee » Wed Oct 02, 2019 1:39 am

Sorry, I don't quite understand the sequence you mean here. I know I can export all or some of the parts, and that they can be in one file or in separate ones, but I don't have a way in between selecting the parts and exporting them to change the transposing score option. I can turn "Transposing Score" on or off before I do the export, but either way, the exported parts still come out transposed.

MikeLyons
Sibelius Version: Ult. 2024.3.1/7.5
Operating System: Windows

Post by MikeLyons » Wed Oct 02, 2019 6:01 am

I'm not even sure why you want to put yourself through this.

Doesn't pro tools import MIDI, or audio or music xml - all of which Sibelius will export?
Sib 6.2, 7.5 and 2023.6, Windows 11, 32GB RAM, 16TB 7200RPM Storage, 2TB SSD, Note Performer 3.3.2, EWQLSO, EWQLSC, Harmony Assistant and some others. mike@mike-lyons.co.uk

ScottBrownlee

Post by ScottBrownlee » Wed Oct 02, 2019 11:40 am

Sure, but then it all sounds like a computer playing it. I prefer to play it in on my keyboard and ride my mod wheel at the same time to make it sound a little more realistic. To do this, I need a concert pitch part to read from.

bobp

Post by bobp » Wed Oct 02, 2019 4:47 pm

OK. I just opened an orchestra score of mine. Turned off transposing score (made it concert pitch). Opened the horn in F part just to make sure it was concert pitch, Went to Export/export parts separate files. Selected horn in F. Export. Result-horn part in concert pitch-even though it was labeled 'horn in F'.

I guess I'm not understanding how you line up everything in Pro Tools if you play parts one at a time. Just curious. Everyone has their own methods.
Bob Porter

ScottBrownlee

Post by ScottBrownlee » Wed Oct 02, 2019 5:18 pm

I think the difference is that you opened the horn part prior to doing the export. I can do that as well, but then I have to open every part individually before doing the export in order to ensure it all comes out as concert pitch. That does work, but it's pretty time-consuming...you'd think there would be a way to export all the parts at once but have them stay in concert pitch. Oh well.

Yeah, that makes sense. I used to use MIDI export/import all the time, but found I get a much better sounding performance if I play it in myself. That means I need to play each instrument in one at a time. I could just keep the parts open in Sibelius, but my computer complains if I run both Sibelius and Pro Tools at the same time, and I also find the PDF exports easier to read. (They fit better on my screen.)

I guess option B is to play them in using the transposed scores, then just change the pitches of all the notes after the recording is done. Also somewhat of a pain.

bobp

Post by bobp » Sat Oct 05, 2019 3:36 am

Doesn't make any difference if I open the horn part first or not. You can export whatever parts you want from the export list.
Bob Porter

ScottBrownlee

Post by ScottBrownlee » Sat Oct 05, 2019 3:42 am

Yes, but if I don't open the parts individually first, they still come out transposed for me. Not sure why, but I give up and will just do the time-consuming method.

bobp

Post by bobp » Sat Oct 05, 2019 3:49 am

Sorry. Not seeing that on my end.
Bob Porter