Is This Possible?

Discuss general Sibelius issues here. Get help with Sibelius and Sibelius Support.
sus4

Post by sus4 » Sat Dec 07, 2019 1:54 pm

I'm writing a long piano piece with a couple of tempo changes. Some of it is in 4/4 and some in 3/4. The 4/4 part is faster than the 3/4 part. I tried changing the tempo in the Transport window in the 3/4 part, but it's not slowing down. It will go into 3/4, but the tempo stays the same as the 4/4 part. Is there a way of actually have different tempos in a piece? Now this is only necessary when playing it back in Sibelius not if I was doing it in a live situation with a live musician or musicians. What I want to do is use this piece as a recorded piece and send it to a friend as an mp3 so he can hear the actual tempo changes. Thanks.

sus4

Post by sus4 » Sat Dec 07, 2019 5:33 pm

I just figured this out if anyone is interested. I bit the bullet and actually tried reading the manual. First I started reading about Live Tempo which is actually setting the tempo by tapping it in. You can also put in ritards and other things like accelerando. But, what I did was using the metronome markings like q=120 at different spots where the tempo actually changes and the tempo will change according to what the metronome marking is at that point. That's it.

MikeLyons
Sibelius Version: Ult. 2024.3.1/7.5
Operating System: Windows

Post by MikeLyons » Sun Dec 08, 2019 8:44 am

The transport panel is not (and never has been) for changing the tempo in a permanent way. At best it's a rough and dirty quick fix to test out tempos.

real musicians use tempo changes like <q>=120 or <h> = 66 combined with Italian terms like Allegro, Andante etc to set the tempo for each section of the music and use lines such as rall/rit/accel to make gradual changes. Sibelius is a music engraving program. Its features are intenecded to be used for that purpose. The fact that it now also has some slightly more sophisticated playback features is a bonus. If you want 'live sounding playback' use a DAW like Cubase or ProTools which makes the process much easier.
Sib 6.2, 7.5 and 2023.6, Windows 11, 32GB RAM, 16TB 7200RPM Storage, 2TB SSD, Note Performer 3.3.2, EWQLSO, EWQLSC, Harmony Assistant and some others. mike@mike-lyons.co.uk