Optimize staff spacing

Discuss general Sibelius issues here. Get help with Sibelius and Sibelius Support.
MGBChoralMusic
Sibelius Version: 6.2
Operating System: Windows

Post by MGBChoralMusic » Sat Mar 07, 2020 7:23 pm

I've been a Sibelius user for a long time but have always dragged staffs around to get them to fit. Lately I've been working get a better understanding of the align and justify settings in layout and engraving rules. Not sure why, when I choose Optimize Staff Spacing does it spread things apart to much. I've attached an example. Some times the space it leaves is much bigger than in this example.
Also, unless I "undo" this operation right away, I'm not sure how to fix it other than a lot of dragging.

Thanks,
Michael
Attachments
Align staff issue1.PNG
Align staff issue1.PNG (95.53 KiB) Viewed 2434 times

MikeLyons
Sibelius Version: Ult. 2024.3.1/7.5
Operating System: Windows

Post by MikeLyons » Sun Mar 08, 2020 8:05 am

Steps to take:

1, Set "justify staves when" to a higher value than 65% In general this is way too low and causes large gaps between staves and between systems
2. Use reset space above and reset space below followed by Optimize to let sibelius make its best shot. Then tweak.
3. The dotted blue lines indicate hidden staves. Are they necessary? Even though hidden, they can still affect spacing - especially if there are system symbols set to "draw on all staves" things like breath marks and some fermatas will do this. It's a bug.
Sib 6.2, 7.5 and 2023.6, Windows 11, 32GB RAM, 16TB 7200RPM Storage, 2TB SSD, Note Performer 3.3.2, EWQLSO, EWQLSC, Harmony Assistant and some others. mike@mike-lyons.co.uk