Magnetic Layout setting for a text style?

Discuss general Sibelius issues here. Get help with Sibelius and Sibelius Support.
bugbuster
Sibelius Version: 8.5.0
Operating System: Mac

Post by bugbuster » Thu May 07, 2020 10:55 pm

I have a text style for guitar fingerings which I can invoke with a keyboard shortcut. I would like to change the Magnetic Layout Object setting from Default to Off for the entire text style so I don't have to do it every time I enter a fingering on a score. Am I in luck or out of luck?

MikeLyons
Sibelius Version: Ult. 2024.3.1/7.5
Operating System: Windows

Post by MikeLyons » Fri May 08, 2020 8:03 am

My thought is that if you turn mag layout off for the text object before you attach the keyboard shortcut to it, then it might carry over the characteristic when you use the shortcut.

Alternatively, you can put your chord symbols in and then filter for them using advanced filters and change them all at once.
Sib 6.2, 7.5 and 2024.3.1, Windows 11, 32GB RAM, 16TB 7200RPM Storage, 2TB SSD, Note Performer 4, EWQLSO, EWQLSC, Harmony Assistant and some others. mike@mike-lyons.co.uk

bugbuster
Sibelius Version: 8.5.0
Operating System: Mac

Post by bugbuster » Fri May 08, 2020 10:24 pm

This is for classical guitar fingerings, a made-up text style I cloned from, I think, Plain Text. It is not for chords. I made up two styles: one, "Fingerings" for above the staff Voice 1 notes and another, "FingeringsV2" for below the staff Voice 2 notes.

Now I know that my new Fingering styles (based on Plain Text) are not doing Vertical placement very well because they are a Staff Text Style. Vertical placement options are all grayed out for Staff Text. A System Text Style enables Vertical placements; Staff Text does not.

Do any other styles come to mind for the purpose of note-by-note fingering notation, given that the notes can be moved around and I want my fingerings to follow them wherever they go?

Now I'm wondering, before I commit myself to a lot more time consuming note-by-note fingering indications (like violin or piano fingerings, I suppose, **not** guitar chord fingerings), which would be the best style on which to base a "FingeringV1" and "FingeringV2"?

MikeLyons
Sibelius Version: Ult. 2024.3.1/7.5
Operating System: Windows

Post by MikeLyons » Sat May 09, 2020 7:08 am

There are already fingering specific text styles: I wrote 'chord symbols' not meaning the actual chord symbols, but your fingering text style. (although the advanced filter works for them, too.)

See Image.

I have selected the normal fingering text style. Your own text style(s) will also be listed and you can make multiple selections.

It may not be a one-click solution, but it may be better than trying to do it individually. Once selected you can turn on/off mag layout in the rt-click menu and adjust the positions of all selected text at once.
Attachments
text advanced filter.png
text advanced filter.png (59.93 KiB) Viewed 2418 times
Sib 6.2, 7.5 and 2024.3.1, Windows 11, 32GB RAM, 16TB 7200RPM Storage, 2TB SSD, Note Performer 4, EWQLSO, EWQLSC, Harmony Assistant and some others. mike@mike-lyons.co.uk