Sibelius licensing problem, a big nasty one in this case

Discuss general Sibelius issues here. Get help with Sibelius and Sibelius Support.
bugbuster
Sibelius Version: 8.5.0
Operating System: Mac

Post by bugbuster » Thu May 14, 2020 10:56 pm

I bought Sibelius Ultimate this last April 24, 2020. It's telling me I have 11 days left of the 30-day trial period even though I bought and activated a 1-year license for a cool $199. Fortunately I used my credit card, which I always do to give myself recourse situations just like this one.
To protect myself I have entered a credit card Dispute Charge action at my bank, but I hope not to have to complete this process.
I have tried mightily several times to solve this through Avid's on-line "help". Nobody answers the phone. No help. Nothing. They cite COVID19 as the problem why they aren't there. COVID SHMOVID. They are running a business. If they don't really intend to cut me off, they should say so very clearly in big all caps.
If that software ceases to work in 11 days, in the middle of a project that is my only link to sanity in this lockdown I will be disappointed. (That's diplomatic language for "as pissed off as anyone could get.")

MikeLyons
Sibelius Version: Ult. 2024.3.1/7.5
Operating System: Windows

Post by MikeLyons » Fri May 15, 2020 9:00 am

You are more likely to get faster help on the official Sibelius page https://www.sibelius.com/cgi-bin/helpce ... &groupid=3 or on the Facebook page https://www.facebook.com/groups/sibeliussoftwareforum. This is a very old forum, visited mostly by old die-hards like myself from the old days!

There have been a large number of complaints about the registration failures caused by Avid Link, which is the method you need to use to register your copy.

Have you got an Avid Account? Have you downloaded/installed/updated Avid Link? (See Image)
Avid Link-Signed out.png
Avid Link-Signed out.png (36.14 KiB) Viewed 2191 times
Note that this is Avid Link in its 'signed out' state.

Make sure Sibelius is NOT running, not even in the background. If necessary restart your machine.

Click the Avid Link icon in the start menu (Windows) I don't handle Mac, so you'll need to find it yourself if that's your machine.
Avid Link-start menu.png
Avid Link-start menu.png (229.48 KiB) Viewed 2191 times
Once it is open, Sign in to your Avid Account using the link (in my case, it's the ML at the top left. You will need your Username and password.

If you have correctly signed in, you will see your profile page - yours may not be as detailed as mine.
Avid link Profile page.png
Avid link Profile page.png (215.21 KiB) Viewed 2191 times

If you now click on the link on your products page, it will show details of your current state and whether or not your installation is activated. This forum allows a max of 3 images, so please follow on to the next post.
Sib 6.2, 7.5 and 2023.6, Windows 11, 32GB RAM, 16TB 7200RPM Storage, 2TB SSD, Note Performer 3.3.2, EWQLSO, EWQLSC, Harmony Assistant and some others. mike@mike-lyons.co.uk

MikeLyons
Sibelius Version: Ult. 2024.3.1/7.5
Operating System: Windows

Post by MikeLyons » Fri May 15, 2020 9:05 am

Once you have signed in, you can access your product licences. Click on the Products link on the left hand side,
Avid link Products page.png
Avid link Products page.png (45.75 KiB) Viewed 2191 times
Then click on the entry for sibelius. At this stage it will probably say Sibelius|First.
Enter the product details after clicking the Activate button.
Sib Ult - License.png
Sib Ult - License.png (32.93 KiB) Viewed 2191 times

Now you should be able to run Sib ultimate.

Personally, I don't let Avid link update automatically and I don't let it start with Windows. I start it if I need it or if I want to check for updates. Hope all of this helps.
Sib 6.2, 7.5 and 2023.6, Windows 11, 32GB RAM, 16TB 7200RPM Storage, 2TB SSD, Note Performer 3.3.2, EWQLSO, EWQLSC, Harmony Assistant and some others. mike@mike-lyons.co.uk

bugbuster
Sibelius Version: 8.5.0
Operating System: Mac

Post by bugbuster » Fri May 15, 2020 2:46 pm

Many thanks for spending this time helping me. I will go through all of it today and tomorrow and let you know what happened. I do think something really is amiss here, because I know the "Activated" sign is on. I will pass on the result.