Dulicmer Tablature in DAD

Discuss general Sibelius issues here. Get help with Sibelius and Sibelius Support.
SirTainley
Sibelius Version: 5.2.5
Operating System: Windows

Post by SirTainley » Fri May 29, 2020 5:10 pm

I have Sibelius 5 and attempting to create dulcimer tablature in DAD. Selecting the regular notation, copying and pasting to the blank tablature stave does indeed work. However the tablature that is created bears absolute no resemblance to what it should be. Reading an playing it makes no sense whatsoever. Has anybody and idea what I am doing wrong or is this a bug in the software that needs to be addressed? Any help would be gratefully appreciated.

KJ_Palmer
Sibelius Version: 6.2, 7.5

Post by KJ_Palmer » Sat May 30, 2020 9:09 pm

Hi, I think may be due to a long standing issue that Sibelius assumes fretted instruments are fretted in semitone steps, whereas the dulcimer is fretted diatonically (sorry, I've not not had any experience of dulcimers so could well be wrong about this).

See this post from 2003: viewtopic.php?t=1060, where they suggest you'd have to input the fret numbers manually!

I tried one tabbed example in Sibelius 7.5 and the results still didn't match, so I'm guessing this hasn't been resolved in Sibelius 5 and later. It's highly unlikely (at best) that Sibelius 5 will be getting any further development to fix this problem. Maybe the current versions will if enough people push for it...
Sibelius 6.2, 7.5.1, Windows 11

SirTainley
Sibelius Version: 5.2.5

Post by SirTainley » Mon Jun 01, 2020 11:29 pm

Thanks for the information.