Having to re-select notes to add accidentals etc.

Discuss general Sibelius issues here. Get help with Sibelius and Sibelius Support.
MMT
Sibelius Version: 8
Operating System: Windows

Post by MMT » Sat Jun 06, 2020 9:50 am

Hi, quick question here to see if I can improve my workflow a bit.

I transcribe a lot of jazz solos in Sibelius and I usually just enter notes with numpad for value+note letter name, then R and arrow keys for speed's sake.

However, often I find the numpad won't add accidentals initially and I have to select another note, then re-select the one I was originally trying to put accidentals on before it will let me do it. So it goes kind of like this:

Input note (Which now is blue and selected)
Tries adding accidental, but nothing happens
Arrow key left
Arrow key right
Succsessfully adds accidental.

It's a minor thing, but do it enough times and you get tired of it pretty quickly. Is there a setting somewhere that would make this work a bit more intuitively? Maybe something to do with "specify X first" in note input or something? I'm not too familiar with all the possible options in the menus, so maybe people here know something I don't!

Thanks!

MikeLyons
Sibelius Version: Ult. 2024.3.1/7.5

Post by MikeLyons » Sat Jun 06, 2020 2:22 pm

This system works well for me on windows 10. I enter notes in the same way as you. -->Choose a note value, choose an accidental if needed, type a pitch . so to write the attached I typed:

num pad 4, c, numpad 3, d,numpad9,e numpad 4, f, numpad 8, f.
enter flat-sharp notes.png
enter flat-sharp notes.png (4.42 KiB) Viewed 1807 times
You have to enter the accidental BEFORE you enter the pitch name.
Sib 6.2, 7.5 and 2024.3.1, Windows 11, 32GB RAM, 16TB 7200RPM Storage, 2TB SSD, Note Performer 4, EWQLSO, EWQLSC, Harmony Assistant and some others. mike@mike-lyons.co.uk

MMT
Sibelius Version: 8

Post by MMT » Sun Jun 07, 2020 3:19 pm

Hi, and thank you for responding! That is usually how I do it with the accidental selection before the note name, but my issue seems to come when I use R to add the next note quickly. This method is especially quick (For me!) when transcribing 8th note lines that move in stepwise motion, for example. Just using R and arrows up and down after the first note is in place.

I think maybe I was a bit unclear in my original post, so I'll try to be more specific!

After testing a bit, this seems to be what happens:

- Select empty bar
- Select note value
- Select accidental (If needed)
- Press note name on keyboard, which gives me the first note
- I press R to quickly get the next note
- I then try to add an accidental while this new note is blue, but this does nothing, so I have to re-select in order to apply accidentals and new values with the numpad.

What is odd is that the notes I create using R AFTER re-selecting the first stubborn duplicate note, will not need to be re-selected in order to get accidentals.... :?:

Again, thank you for taking the time to respond! :D This might be an odd way of doing it perhaps, but I find it quite fast, but it could be faster if there was a way to eliminate the need to re-select.

I hope I explained it clearly!