Deactivation of licence problem

Discuss general Sibelius issues here. Get help with Sibelius and Sibelius Support.
Mozart
Sibelius Version: 5

Post by Mozart » Sat Jul 25, 2020 9:21 am

Hi, I hope someone can help. I have Sibelius 5, which I have had quite a while but not used for ages. I sent it to my brother who lives in Italy. Anyway I didn’t realise I had to deactivate my licence first so he could then register it for himself. Is there any way this can be sorted out so he can use it for his composing?
Thankyou very much .

andyg
Sibelius Version: 7.1.3 and 6.2
Operating System: Windows

Post by andyg » Sat Jul 25, 2020 9:42 am

Officially, the licence you bought for Sibelius 5 belongs to you and you alone. You cannot transfer it or give it away. Your brother will never be able to 'register' it as such.

IIRC, Sibelius 5 allows two simultaneous activations on your own computers. However, Sibelius 5 is so old now that I can't recall how to activate it. But it's definitely going to have to be done manually, as the auto activation system doesn't even work for the later versions 6 and 7. That could mean contacting Avid and, given what you want to do, they may not want to help.

You could always contact Avid and just ask them to deactivate your license as 'your computer is dead'! That would free up one or two activations. I assume that you sent your brother the serial number etc. He could try installing it and seeing if there was a way to activate it.

A good alternative if your brother needs music scoring software would be the free Musescore 3. It's come of age and probably does most things that your brother needs. It's certainly better than the free Sibelius First or the paid for Sibelius (the full version is now called Sibelius Ultimate and it's the only version worth having).

Mozart
Sibelius Version: 5

Post by Mozart » Sat Jul 25, 2020 9:51 am

Thankyou very much for your advice.