Natural sharp as cautionary

Discuss general Sibelius issues here. Get help with Sibelius and Sibelius Support.
Wrexsoul
Sibelius Version: 7.5
Operating System: Mac

Post by Wrexsoul » Tue Aug 04, 2020 3:03 pm

Hello,

I work with transcribing old original manuscripts to modern notation using Sibelius 7.5. When I do this, I often want to copy the exact notation of the composer, which Sibelius makes difficult by insisting on modern notation conventions.

In particular, I have a piece where the piano score has the note a## in one bar and a# in the next, which the composer notes with a cautionary ♮# in the new bar (see picture). However, I can't get Sibelius to write this - it defaults to a lone # and the♮# keypad button does nothing.

I can probably work around it with use of symbols and hiding elements etc, but it's getting tiresome to constantly have to use convoluted methods to circumvent Sibelius' forcibly holding my hand. Is there any way I can configure the program so that it lets me do what I want - in this specific case, and/or in general?

MikeLyons
Sibelius Version: Ult. 2024.3.1/7.5
Operating System: Windows

Post by MikeLyons » Tue Aug 04, 2020 7:46 pm

In short - ie an automatic way to do this - no.

Sibelius is largely intended for modern musicians using classical (and later) conventions to notate. It can't really be expected to handle every idiosyncratic (and often incorrect) notation used by a composer from before notation became standardised. TBF, it doesn't even handle some of the more idiosyncratic notations of modern composers. I've had a quick peruse of the manual, but haven't been able to find anything that might help you.

You might get more help from the official Sibelius forum https://www.sibelius.com/cgi-bin/helpce ... &groupid=3
or on one of the many Facebook groups, some of which are frequented by Sibelius developers and staffers.
Sib 6.2, 7.5 and 2023.6, Windows 11, 32GB RAM, 16TB 7200RPM Storage, 2TB SSD, Note Performer 3.3.2, EWQLSO, EWQLSC, Harmony Assistant and some others. mike@mike-lyons.co.uk

Wrexsoul
Sibelius Version: 7.5
Operating System: Mac

Post by Wrexsoul » Wed Aug 05, 2020 8:44 am

Alright, thank you for your time! I'll just have to keep working around it then.

KJ_Palmer
Sibelius Version: 6.2, 7.5
Operating System: Windows

Post by KJ_Palmer » Wed Aug 05, 2020 10:57 pm

You may have found this workaround on the net: if you add a gracenote with a double sharp before the single sharped note then you get the natural sharp signed note. You can hide the false grace note and turn off the play on passes in inspector. Obviously not ideal, but there it is.
Sibelius 6.2, 7.5.1, Windows 11