Playback Line - to move smoothly and NOT in jumps by beats

Discuss general Sibelius issues here. Get help with Sibelius and Sibelius Support.
ADMONY
Sibelius Version: Ultimate
Operating System: Windows

Post by ADMONY » Thu Oct 15, 2020 10:56 am

Could anyone help with the following challenge?

I use Sibelius Ultimate 2020. When exporting a video: I need the playback line to scroll SMOOTHLY in constant motion. And NOT it beats with the metronome... How can that be done?

(I wrote a book and am stuck with this for a while. It's for the pupils in a play-along website. So help is needed as soon as... )

Thank you!
Yuval

JohnEEADBL
Sibelius Version: 2020.9
Operating System: Mac

Post by JohnEEADBL » Sat Dec 05, 2020 10:57 pm

I have the opposite problem, but with similar intended usage of the videos I produce with Sibelius. I'd like the playback line to go in simple, equal, discreet steps tied to the scores "metronome" track. But, as yet, I can't get it to do that either. It seems that the video export algorithm just makes the playback line follow the first part in the score that is included in the video. I have thought about doing this, but, haven't gotten around to testing it: put 32nd or 64th rests in voice 2, in the first visible part, and then hide that voice. It would not give smooth motion to the playback line, but, it would be "smoother". IF it works!? Sorry that I can't help you further. I just hate seeing people post questions and then get ignored. It's better to say "No!", "Can't help you!", etc. than just not to answer at all. Moderators, please take notice.

Avid, take note: your high prices for subscriptions and your continued failure to eradicate errors are losing you customers, i.e. I can't change sound sources (both on this new Mac and on an old Win/PC, several years ago, before it stopped running) in Sibelius without the video export function malfunctioning. I know it is malfunctioning because the red-progress indicator in the "Video Export" ("Generating Audio") doesn't run as quickly and often I'll hear the audio in real-time from my Mac speakers (when my Saffire Pro 24 DSP was the selected audio source for playback), or from another monitor's audio output when that was previously selected). There will be no video file outputted. This is the type of error that Avid is reluctant to fix. It's also why I've changed my primary DAW to Studio One 5 from Pro Tools (talk about price-gouging!) and my primary notation editor to Notion (which works extremely well on my iPad, letting me easily take that with me and not my Mac mini when I need to work from the car during breaks in my chauffeur duties) from Sibelius.

ADMONY
Sibelius Version: Ultimate

Post by ADMONY » Sat Dec 05, 2020 11:28 pm

Dear John

I really appreciate your answer and thought. What I would put under - solutions by bypassing the problem. It’s clever. In the meantime - with much struggle and attempts, I managed to create a smooth scrolling line in the video editor program that I use. While inserting the music sheet as jpg - in groups (3 systems at a time to fit the frame)

It works very nicely...

I will consider what you offered and see if the line slides smoothly enough - or shakes a little - even in short vibrations... ;) if it looks smooth it will save me much video editing work.
Thanks again!!

Interestingly enough: another challenge - of creating equal size bars - was solved in a similar way to what you suggested: I created another stave above (Ossia) and wrote smaller note values throughout - and then erased it (or hid it)
Thus equalizing the bar sizes.
This way - my scrolling line could advance at the same pace...

Cheers

Yuval

MikeLyons
Sibelius Version: Ult. 2024.3.1/7.5

Post by MikeLyons » Sun Dec 06, 2020 8:50 am

For the attention of both posters here - this is NOT an official Sibelius forum. In fact it is pretty much moribund with only 3 or 4 people posting help regularly. There are NO Avid staffers on here at all.

The official Avid forum is here https://www.sibelius.com/cgi-bin/helpce ... &groupid=3

The FB pages are somewhat more lively. Try here https://www.facebook.com/groups/sibeliussoftwareforum
Sib 6.2, 7.5 and 2023.6, Windows 11, 32GB RAM, 16TB 7200RPM Storage, 2TB SSD, Note Performer 3.3.2, EWQLSO, EWQLSC, Harmony Assistant and some others. mike@mike-lyons.co.uk

andyg
Sibelius Version: 7.1.3 and 6.2

Post by andyg » Sun Dec 06, 2020 9:55 am

And as far as I'm aware there has been no moderator intervention for ages. I think the site admin/owner is happy to let the few questions that are posed be answered by the few of us that might know the answers.