Parts Don't Stay With File

Discuss general Sibelius issues here. Get help with Sibelius and Sibelius Support.
chuckpuckett
Sibelius Version: 7.5.1
Operating System: Windows

Post by chuckpuckett » Sun Nov 15, 2020 12:32 am

This is happening with some regularity. I create a new Part, save the file, take it to another machine, but when I open the file, the part is not there. Shouldn't parts travel with the file?

I am on Version 2020.9, on both machines
Chuck Puckett
Against stupidity, the gods themselves strive in vain.
I don’t want to steal the show. I only want to borrow it for a while.

MikeLyons
Sibelius Version: Ult. 2024.3.1/7.5

Post by MikeLyons » Sun Nov 15, 2020 7:45 am

What happens if you select a staff and press w after opening the file?

Parts are dynamic. they are part of the main file. Unless you have set pteferences in Files and Display, your part tabs won't be open when you load the file up in any machine.
Sib 6.2, 7.5 and 2023.6, Windows 11, 32GB RAM, 16TB 7200RPM Storage, 2TB SSD, Note Performer 3.3.2, EWQLSO, EWQLSC, Harmony Assistant and some others. mike@mike-lyons.co.uk

chuckpuckett
Sibelius Version: 7.5.1

Post by chuckpuckett » Sun Nov 15, 2020 6:07 pm

Perhaps I've not been clear. I can certainly create a new part by selcting a staff and pressing w.
But I have created parts with multiple instruments (I like to use this approach to isolate a set of instruments during playback; yes, I could select the staves, but this is something I tend to do repeatedly). Normally, the tabs with the currently available parts are on the main display.
What I am experiencing is: after having created these parts, there are times when I open the file, and the parts have disappeared (ie, no tabs exist for them). I cannot definitively say this has happened when I re-open on the same machine, but it has definitely happened when I change machines. (I have a studio where I can work in siolation, and then an office in my home, so I split time between the two locations)
Chuck Puckett
Against stupidity, the gods themselves strive in vain.
I don’t want to steal the show. I only want to borrow it for a while.

MikeLyons
Sibelius Version: Ult. 2024.3.1/7.5

Post by MikeLyons » Sun Nov 15, 2020 9:36 pm

When you press w you are NOT creating a new part. You are opening a part which already exists within the file. If you have created a new part containing multiple staves, that wil be there. Press [ctrl]# until it shows up. Alternatively, under the plus sign on the RHS of the score window, there is a complete list of all parts and you can open it from there.
parts list.png
parts list.png (43.93 KiB) Viewed 1533 times
Sib 6.2, 7.5 and 2023.6, Windows 11, 32GB RAM, 16TB 7200RPM Storage, 2TB SSD, Note Performer 3.3.2, EWQLSO, EWQLSC, Harmony Assistant and some others. mike@mike-lyons.co.uk