Violin left-hand pizz alternating with bowed staccato

Discuss general Sibelius issues here. Get help with Sibelius and Sibelius Support.
winnie
Sibelius Version: Ultimate
Operating System: Mac

Post by winnie » Thu Dec 03, 2020 5:19 am

Hello forum!
This is my first time on here and also the first time where I've had a question regarding Sibelius.
I'm running Sibelius Ultimate and I'd like to write a violin part in which there are fast sixteenth notes (well, relatively quick, not vivace quick) but each sixteenth note alternates between a left hand pizzicato and then a bowed staccato of that same note (think off-the-string spiccato at the tip of the bow).
However, when I add the pizz dialogue, the pizzicato audio ends up extending for all the sixteenth notes after it and not just that one (as expected) -- do I have to do the painstaking work of putting in pizz. and arco for every single sixteenth note, and then perhaps hide them?
Thanks,
Winnie

andyg
Sibelius Version: 7.1.3 and 6.2
Operating System: Windows

Post by andyg » Thu Dec 03, 2020 10:23 am

Yes, if you give a pizz instruction, it will continue until you give a different instruction. How else will Sibelius know what to do?

You could enter a short passage of semiquavers, maybe four of them, and insert the pizz and arco instructions. Then simply copy and paste that section - it should copy all the instructions with the notes. Then alter the note pitches as required. Once all is pasted in, hide the instructions.

If the sounds don't change fast enough, you might have to put the pizz notes on one staff and the arco notes on another, with appropriate rests between them. You could then hide these two staves and create one staff showing the 'normal' notation. It is a bit of work, but it will get the desired result. And it's a very common practice when playback needs to be different to the printed score in some way.

I assume that your players (assuming the piece is intended for real people) will be given instructions of how you want things played? If so, you can type these in using Plain Text.

Also note that this is not the official Sibelius forum. You'll find that here: https://www.sibelius.com/cgi-bin/helpce ... ?groupid=3

Ask there, someone may have a better solution.

winnie
Sibelius Version: Ultimate
Operating System: Mac

Post by winnie » Fri Dec 04, 2020 5:42 am

Thank you andyg!
That helps a lot.