old scores from Sibelius

Discuss general Sibelius issues here. Get help with Sibelius and Sibelius Support.
grantcahoon
Sibelius Version: Ultimate
Operating System: Mac

Post by grantcahoon » Wed Feb 17, 2021 5:00 am

I used Sibelius 7 for many years as a teacher. I am now retired. The school division said I could continue using Sibelius on my computer, however, someone from Sibelius told me that Sibelius 7 wont run on my MacBook Pro (Catalina 10.15.7), so I paid for a subscription for a few months. I can probably get by with the free version for the time being, but after I downloaded it, all my old files that I created over the last 15 years are gone. I hope I can get them back because it represents many years of creation. Can I get them back? If so, how?

Dr. Grant Cahoon

andyg
Sibelius Version: 7.1.3 and 6.2
Operating System: Windows

Post by andyg » Wed Feb 17, 2021 8:50 am

Installing a new version of Sibelius should not have deleted or removed your old score files, they should still be wherever you put them on your computer. It's quite possible that Sibelius can't find them as you've put them in a non-standard (for Sibelius) location.

1) search your computer for files with the sib extension and note where they are.
2) save a new score in Sibelius and note where it puts it by default.
3) move your newly-found files to that location

You're a (retired)teacher. I'll bet that you told your students to back up their files more than once - I know I have. Did you back up all yours? :)

If you're used to a full version of Sibelius, you won't like the free version (Sibelius First) at all. It's so stripped down that it's virtually useless. Even the entry level app (Sibelius) is hamstrung. Only Sibelius Ultimate will let you do what you used to do at school.

grantcahoon

Post by grantcahoon » Mon Feb 22, 2021 11:26 pm

thanks for the info. I automatically back up all my work on an external hard drive. When I save things on Sibelius, they always save in the "scores" file, but when I opened it, the only file that was there was the one I used to experiment with the free version of Sibelius. I will try to search for the .sib files on my hard drive and hopefully they will shop up.

grantcahoon

Post by grantcahoon » Mon Feb 22, 2021 11:45 pm

I found all my old scores on my external hard drive and I can still print them.

Is there anyway I can still use my school version of Sibelius? It is 7.1.3 build 77 Audio Engine v1.0.38.165. I was paying $43 the last few months to use Sibelius Ultimate. That is just too much money for the amount that I use it.

thanks
Dr. Grant Cahoon

grantcahoon

Post by grantcahoon » Tue Feb 23, 2021 12:10 am

Where do I find the application for the free version of Sibelius that I have most recently used (once). When I try to open something that I saved using the free version, my old version 7 tries to open and gives me the this message: "Your 30 day trial period for Sibelius 7 has ended. You can continue to use Sibelius 7, but saving will be disabled until you activate."

Then it gives me four choices: (1)Activate (2) Buy Online (3) Continue (4) Specify License Server

I just want to use the free version for the time being, but I can't open it.

Any help would be appreciated.

thanks

MikeLyons
Sibelius Version: Ult. 2024.3.1/7.5
Operating System: Windows

Post by MikeLyons » Tue Feb 23, 2021 7:03 am

The icon for Sibelius 2020.x has changed. It is a white treble clef in a circle on a purple background.
Attachments
sibelius icons.png
sibelius icons.png (42.12 KiB) Viewed 2609 times
Sib 6.2, 7.5 and 2023.6, Windows 11, 32GB RAM, 16TB 7200RPM Storage, 2TB SSD, Note Performer 3.3.2, EWQLSO, EWQLSC, Harmony Assistant and some others. mike@mike-lyons.co.uk

grantcahoon

Post by grantcahoon » Tue Feb 23, 2021 5:34 pm

Thanks for the information, Mike. If anyone can tell me how to do this on a Mac it would be appreciated. I can't open the free version of Sibelius.

Also, I forgot my password, so they sent me a new one. It is about 25 characters long and doesn't give me the option to change to a shorter one that I can actually remember. So I just ask for a new password everytime, but that gets old. Any help on how get my own password.

thanks
Grant