restore sibelius 7.5.1 from OS X backup. Permissions problem

Discuss general Sibelius issues here. Get help with Sibelius and Sibelius Support.
petrichor
Sibelius Version: 7.5.1
Operating System: Mac

Post by petrichor » Fri Mar 05, 2021 12:49 am

Hello and thank you in advance.

My old MacBook (Catalina 10.15.7) with my trusty Sibelius 7.5.1 had to be reimaged. It's back and I used time machine to get my apps back. I selected Sibelius, and chose "restore", but something must be missing because clicking on it just gives me "There was a problem with file permissions".

now, in my dreams, I'd buy the upcoming new mac (in august?) and hopefully Sibelius will run on it by then and I'll be happier in version 8. but.... have to wait. it's the covid theme song... "have to wait"

but in the meanwhile can anyone tell me if I forgot to restore something else? the message doesn't really give much insight. Do I have to go back to my disk and go through all the updates?

Help! Please, Thank you! I'm stuck!

MikeLyons
Sibelius Version: Ult. 2024.3.1/7.5
Operating System: Windows

Post by MikeLyons » Fri Mar 05, 2021 7:42 am

According to Sibelius' compatibiity chart, your 7.5.1 is only supported up to Mac OS 10.10. If you have been successfully running it on Catalina, you have been extremely lucky.

The only versions of Sib to run on the latest version of the mac OS (Big Sur) are 2020.6 and later. If you decide to go this route, you will have to buy Sibelius Ultimate (if you want to retain and improve on your current functionality) Anything else will be a considerable downgrade.
Sib 6.2, 7.5 and 2023.6, Windows 11, 32GB RAM, 16TB 7200RPM Storage, 2TB SSD, Note Performer 3.3.2, EWQLSO, EWQLSC, Harmony Assistant and some others. mike@mike-lyons.co.uk

petrichor
Sibelius Version: 7.5.1
Operating System: Mac

Post by petrichor » Sun Mar 07, 2021 12:22 am

thank you for your reply.

:( sadly tho... between a rock and a hard place... latest version of sibelius won't work on a new mac is that right? any idea when a version of sibelius will work with the new mac's processors? Prefer to buy both at the same time.

... is there any way to export sibelius files to work with something like MuseScore or other apps?

thank you again.

andyg
Sibelius Version: 7.1.3 and 6.2

Post by andyg » Sun Mar 07, 2021 9:12 am

Export as XML. Musescore should be able to read this OK, but expect to do some tidying up and editing, as is always the case with any type of 'import'.

The latest Sibelius works fine with Big Sur, but as to when Sibelius (and some other music apps, it seems) will work OK with the new CPUs in Apples, it would be better to ask this on the official Sibelius chat pages: https://www.sibelius.com/cgi-bin/helpce ... ?groupid=3

This is an unofficial site!

MikeLyons
Sibelius Version: Ult. 2024.3.1/7.5

Post by MikeLyons » Sun Mar 07, 2021 9:33 am

OK, am I talking in Swahili?

I said -and I quote: "According to Sibelius' compatibiity chart, your 7.5.1 is only supported up to Mac OS 10.10. If you have been successfully running it on Catalina, you have been extremely lucky.

The only versions of Sib to run on the latest version of the mac OS (Big Sur) are 2020.6 and later. If you decide to go this route, you will have to buy Sibelius Ultimate (if you want to retain and improve on your current functionality) Anything else will be a considerable downgrade.

There appear to be some issues with the M1 processors in the very latest Macs. Why do you want one? Why not go over to PC. You can happily run your existing Sib 7.5.1 and get the latest Sibelius Ultimate which will work quite happily alongside it. And it will be a hell of a lot less expensive.
Sib 6.2, 7.5 and 2023.6, Windows 11, 32GB RAM, 16TB 7200RPM Storage, 2TB SSD, Note Performer 3.3.2, EWQLSO, EWQLSC, Harmony Assistant and some others. mike@mike-lyons.co.uk