Dangling ties and converting to PDF

Discuss general Sibelius issues here. Get help with Sibelius and Sibelius Support.
markbrowse
Sibelius Version: 7.5
Operating System: Windows

Post by markbrowse » Sat Mar 06, 2021 1:26 pm

I have a very specific problem involving dangling ties, cross-staff notes and conversion to PDF.

The illustration below shows a bar from a piece in which I have deliberately written a hanging tie to indicate to the player that the note is to be sustained. This example happens to be the last bar on the page. As you can see, the notes go across the staves. They are actually input in the lower stave and the last 3 notes of each group are moved to the upper stave using ctrl+shift+up-arrow.
Picture1.png
Picture1.png (4.19 KiB) Viewed 1380 times
The first bar of the following page looks as follows:
Picture2.png
Picture2.png (7.35 KiB) Viewed 1380 times
This is exactly as I want it to appear.
When I export the score to PDF, the first bar of the next page looks as follows:
Picture3.png
Picture3.png (6.29 KiB) Viewed 1380 times
As you can see, there is a rogue curved line just to the left of the stem of the first note, as if the hanging tie from the previous page has extended. Can anyone explain this, and maybe work out how to stop it happening?

I'm using Sibelius 7.5.

MikeLyons
Sibelius Version: Ult. 2024.3.1/7.5

Post by MikeLyons » Sun Mar 07, 2021 9:40 am

Sibelius has always - and still does even in the very latest version - handle cross-staff notation very, very badly.

My suggestion, since you don't have the latest version (which has tie to and lv symbols that don't do this) is that you use a small white graphic to cover the overlapping tie and put a fake tie, suitably shortened in the same place (you'll have to use a non-magnetc slur for this).

It'll take a bit of trial and error.

You might also want to try using different pdf creation strategies: If this is from Sib's own pdf export, try a pdf printer (microsoft print to pdf or the built-in pdf printer in the mac os) or get hold of a free pdf printer, there are many about. One of these may defeat the issue.
Sib 6.2, 7.5 and 2023.6, Windows 11, 32GB RAM, 16TB 7200RPM Storage, 2TB SSD, Note Performer 3.3.2, EWQLSO, EWQLSC, Harmony Assistant and some others. mike@mike-lyons.co.uk

andyg
Sibelius Version: 7.1.3 and 6.2

Post by andyg » Sun Mar 07, 2021 6:53 pm

I always do what Mike suggested - use non magnetic slurs when I want a tie that is either 'odd' or is something that Sibelius won't play nicely with. They won't play back properly but you can make them look correct, which is all I need.

I've always used Cute PDF for creating pdf files from all my apps. It's never given any problems with Sibelius files. There are others available of course, but I've been happy with it.