Hide Key Signature But Show All Accidentals?

Discuss general Sibelius issues here. Get help with Sibelius and Sibelius Support.
DBL
Sibelius Version: 2020.9
Operating System: Mac

Post by DBL » Tue Mar 09, 2021 4:19 pm

Can't seem to find an easy way to do this - I believe finale has an equivalent to the function that I'm looking for (Hide Key Signature and Show All Accidentals). If I were to write for a large ensemble in F major, I'd like the transposed parts to read without a key signature and instead with every accidental written out. I know I could achieve this by selecting "no key", but I'd rather not have to input the accidentals myself - it'd be a massive timesaver, and it seems like a function that could be hiding somewhere. Anyone know how I might achieve this?

Thanks!

MikeLyons
Sibelius Version: Ult. 2024.3.1/7.5
Operating System: Windows

Post by MikeLyons » Tue Mar 09, 2021 9:20 pm

What ou need to do is insert an ATONAL key sign, which looks like C Major, but doesn't act like it.
Sib 6.2, 7.5 and 2023.6, Windows 11, 32GB RAM, 16TB 7200RPM Storage, 2TB SSD, Note Performer 3.3.2, EWQLSO, EWQLSC, Harmony Assistant and some others. mike@mike-lyons.co.uk

DBL
Sibelius Version: 2020.9
Operating System: Mac

Post by DBL » Fri Mar 12, 2021 11:28 pm

I've actually got that part covered already - what I'd like to do is insert a key sig that looks like Cmaj/Amin, but have sibelius input/move notes with the accidentals of another key. For instance if I in G major there would still be a blank key sig, but any time I click to place the note F, it would place an F# instead. It's a matter of faster workflow in the program.

Maybe there's a plugin that allows for this?

MikeLyons
Sibelius Version: Ult. 2024.3.1/7.5
Operating System: Windows

Post by MikeLyons » Sat Mar 13, 2021 9:37 am

What you are saying is nonsense in terms of key. If you need an F#, you need an F#. What you are asking Sibelius to do is to read your mind about what accidental you want in place.

Work out what key centre you are in/nearest to and put a KS in place. You can always delete the KS afterwards. That way, at least Sib has a fighting chance of understanding what you are trying to do. (Incidentally, I think that would do what you want. When you delete the KS, Sib will automatically insert the accidentals for the sharp/flat notes)

How does pressing [keypad 7/8/9] before you enter the note name slow you down?

Of course, you could always attach a MIDI keyboard then you will get exactly the notes you want.
Sib 6.2, 7.5 and 2023.6, Windows 11, 32GB RAM, 16TB 7200RPM Storage, 2TB SSD, Note Performer 3.3.2, EWQLSO, EWQLSC, Harmony Assistant and some others. mike@mike-lyons.co.uk