Audioscore Lite organ music?

Discuss general Sibelius issues here. Get help with Sibelius and Sibelius Support.
peter2305
Sibelius Version: 7.1.3
Operating System: Windows

Post by peter2305 » Wed Mar 24, 2021 2:58 pm

This software came with Sibelius 7 which I am running. I am trying to transcribe a quite short piece of organ music using Audioscore Lite. Clearly the software isn't recognising the data when I try to transcribe it, and the score just shows gobbledegook. Has anyone had experience of using this program for organ ?

MikeLyons
Sibelius Version: Ult. 2024.3.1/7.5

Post by MikeLyons » Wed Mar 24, 2021 3:54 pm

OK, you are NOT going to like this answer.

Give up now. AudioScore is not worth the money you didn't pay for it! It does not work except in the most very basic way even with monophonic clean recordings it will give you diddly squat.
Sib 6.2, 7.5 and 2023.6, Windows 11, 32GB RAM, 16TB 7200RPM Storage, 2TB SSD, Note Performer 3.3.2, EWQLSO, EWQLSC, Harmony Assistant and some others. mike@mike-lyons.co.uk

peter2305

Post by peter2305 » Wed Mar 24, 2021 4:51 pm

Thanks - why am I not surprised?

andyg
Sibelius Version: 7.1.3 and 6.2

Post by andyg » Wed Mar 24, 2021 7:18 pm

Audio to Notation and Audio to MIDI are both myths, sadly. They've never worked properly and never will, even with the paid -for versions.

The #1 ear and brain can analyse and hear things that no computer algorithm can. It would be wonderful if you could simply play the audio into the computer and have it produce a score but it won't happen. I've just spent three hours or more transcribing two pieces. I'll scribble them down on paper, listen again and revise, then input them into Sibelius, print them, listen some more - revise some more etc etc. All time consuming but the more I do it the better I get and the faster I can do it.

And when the final print trundles off the printer, there is some satisfaction in a job well done. Then all I have to do is play what I've written - and I'll have heard it so many times that I most likely won't even need the music! :)

peter2305

Post by peter2305 » Wed Mar 24, 2021 10:53 pm

That's extraordinary Andy, and is what I have been doing too when the occasion demands it. I probably should have known better than to expect any transcription software to be able to reproduce the complexities of organ music. I listen over and over again, try things on the piano, get an outline done on Sibelius and keep tweaking it. Very satisfying when done. This time, it is a short organ improvisation which I thought was quite stunning which was on Youtube; I wrote to the performer asking if he had made an outline on mss of what he had played (as it was part of a church Mass). He was unable to assist me as it was made up on the spur of the moment and was in the characteristic French style of Dupre or similar. So, for the moment I'm stumped and will have to rely on my ears alone if I take the idea any further. Thanks for your response :)