Cross beaming with divided chords.

Discuss general Sibelius issues here. Get help with Sibelius and Sibelius Support.
andy150
Sibelius Version: 7.1.3
Operating System: Windows

Post by andy150 » Fri Apr 09, 2021 3:36 pm

I want to take the bottom three notes of the third chord and put them in the left hand. When I try to do the insanely tedious method of flipping/extending stems and hiding tails described in the manual, I get something like measure 3. What am I missing? There must be an easier/effective way to do this because it's such a common technique. Thank you in advance.
Attachments
Crucify start over number 2.png
Crucify start over number 2.png (65.28 KiB) Viewed 4179 times

andyg
Sibelius Version: 7.1.3 and 6.2

Post by andyg » Fri Apr 09, 2021 3:51 pm

This is called 'cross staff beaming' in Sibelius. Not sure where you're reading that in the manual, as that's not how you do it. Here's how my Sibelius 6 manual explains it (it's the only manual near this desk!)

Input all the notes in one staff to start with. Then select the note or notes you want to shift to the other staff. Hold down Ctrl and Shift and then press either the up or down cursor arrow controls to move the notes up or down to the other staff as required.

There's usually some tweaking to do, perhaps angling the beam for a better appearance and hiding rest(s) in either staff.

I'm assuming that you have the full version of Sibelius - known as 'Ultimate'. If you only have Sibelius First, it may not do this and I'm not sure that plain Sibelius does it either.

andy150

Post by andy150 » Fri Apr 09, 2021 3:54 pm

Thank you very much Andy. When I do what you describe, the entire chord moves down and not just the 3/4 notes that I want in the left hand. I have Sibelius 7.1.3 I'm pretty sure it's not ultimate but it's definitely not first.

andy150

Post by andy150 » Fri Apr 09, 2021 5:17 pm

Well, I'm getting closer. Tried inputting notes into separate staves, feathering the beams, flipping them and then carefully lining up but the D# in the second chord still looks out of place. I need the stem to still be on the left hand side of the note head but the entire note head moved over so that the stems in the two staves line up.

I tried searching cross staff beams in reference manual but for version 7 that doesn't exist. Please help, I'm going insane! I even purchased an Avid support code and that didn't work (had to file a customer assistance request for my support code purchase)!

These problems are coming days after I successfully notated a no time signature composition but I had to fight tooth and nail with Sibelius every step of the way. I am so done with this b.s. Inches away from switching programs right now.

Thanks for your help!
Attachments
untitled 3.png
untitled 3.png (60.71 KiB) Viewed 4167 times

andyg

Post by andyg » Fri Apr 09, 2021 10:21 pm

I think I misunderstood what you were trying to do.

I think you can do what you need to do by using different voices. 1 and 3 will line up, as will 2 and 4. I've not tried doing this for some time. and I think I only had to do it with crotchets and minims, so no need to hide flags on the quavers.

Alas I don't have time to experiment with this right now. As there seem to be only two of us answering questions on this unofficial forum, I suggest you ask the question on the official Sibelius chat page:

https: //w w w. sibeliusforum . com / index . php

Take out all the spaces - this forum's started disallowing the insertion of links again. :(

andy150

Post by andy150 » Sat Apr 10, 2021 12:50 am

I can't figure it our with different voices. Thank you very much for all your time and effort. I'll check on the other site.

andyg

Post by andyg » Sat Apr 10, 2021 8:51 am

That was the wrong link - this site's getting more weird by the day and inserted a link to itself!

Try this one - it's allowed me to post it this time.

https://www.sibelius.com/cgi-bin/helpce ... ?groupid=3