Please Help!

Discuss general Sibelius issues here. Get help with Sibelius and Sibelius Support.
perrydsouza
Sibelius Version: 7.5
Operating System: Mac

Post by perrydsouza » Sat Apr 10, 2021 9:49 am

Dear All,
I am trying to input this section (bar 31) from the famous Debussy piece 'Clair de Lune'.
I can't seem to input the first note (Ab) in the bass clef which is a dotted quaver and a semi-quaver(double stem with a different note value?)
Please see image below.
Screen Shot 2021-04-10 at 10.42.48.png
I am trying to input this section (bar 31) from the famous Debussy piece 'Clair de Lune'.
I can't seem to input the first note (Ab) in the bass clef which is a dotted quaver and a semi-quaver(double stem with a different note value?)
Screen Shot 2021-04-10 at 10.42.48.png (122.3 KiB) Viewed 3286 times
I would really appreciate if anybody can help me.
Many thanks,
Perry.

KJ_Palmer
Sibelius Version: 6.2, 7.5
Operating System: Windows

Post by KJ_Palmer » Sat Apr 10, 2021 4:33 pm

Use voices (see "Using voices" in the Reference Manual). You'll need to add that dotted quaver in a different 'voice' from the semiquavers. You can change voices in the Keypad (View > Panels > Keypad). There are four coloured voices available by pressing the 1-4 at the bottom of the keypad.

Say you've put in all the quavers in the default voice 1 (blue). Press Esc (in Windows) once or twice so that nothing is selected. From Keypad choose dotted quaver and voice 3 (orange). This voice will automagically line up with voice 1 notes, other voices are offset. Thus primed, place the note on top of the first quaver. Press X to flip the stem if necessary. Repeat as needed.

You may have fun with the cross-staffed notes, if so come back to that later.
Sibelius 6.2, 7.5.1, Windows 11

andyg
Sibelius Version: 7.1.3 and 6.2
Operating System: Windows

Post by andyg » Sat Apr 10, 2021 11:21 pm

K J P has beaten me to it. I was faced with the same bar(s) earlier this week when writing out an abridged version of Clair for a student.

That's how I did it, too! :)

The cross-staff notes were no real problem. Look up 'cross staff beaming' in the Reference and all will be revealed.

My only 'problems' were due to the really bad edition I was working from. Littered with wrong notes, 'impossibilities' and poor engraving.