How to avoid that a slur continues into the next bar when using appoggiatura notes

Discuss general Sibelius issues here. Get help with Sibelius and Sibelius Support.
Barslund
Sibelius Version: 8.0.1
Operating System: Mac

Post by Barslund » Sat May 01, 2021 1:04 pm

Hi!
Is there anyone who can tell me how I can avoid that a slur continues into the next bar when using appoggiatura notes as the last notes in that particular bar? As you can see in the attached picture the slur continues onto the note in the next bar but what I really want to do is to attach it to the last appoggiatura note (in this case the note C) in that same bar as it's supposed to show how to play a certain kind of ornament. I've made an example with the red slur to show what it's supposed to look like. I can't just drag it, have already tried.
I'm using Sibelius 8.0.1 build 40

All the best, Rune

Barslund

Post by Barslund » Sat May 01, 2021 1:07 pm

Hmm, I can't attach the picture no matter which type of file I'm using. It keeps saying that it's too large even though I've gotten the PDF version down to 57 kb. Anyone who knows what to do so I can upload the picture? (Unless you understand my question without seeing the picture of course).

andyg
Sibelius Version: 7.1.3 and 6.2
Operating System: Windows

Post by andyg » Sat May 01, 2021 2:48 pm

Not sure that this old cranky forum lets you attach a pdf. Try uploading the photo as a jpg or png image file

However I'm guessing that you want to put acciaccatura notes (grace notes) into the preceding bar to show where they are actually played, rather than their 'correct' position in the next bar?

If so, once you have positioned the grace notes in the preceding bar, you need to use a non-magnetic slur. Make sure that Magnetic Layout is OFF for the slur. You should be able to position it in any way and place that you wish.

And I'm assuming that you're not using Big Sur. If you are, be aware that your version of Sibelius is not compatible with that O/S. All sorts of issues have presented themselves. This might be one!

If you do have Big Sur, you have three options.

1) downgrade the O/S to a previous one that Sibelius 8 works with
2) spend out on updating to the latest version of Sibelius ULTIMATE (not just Sibelius)
3) Switch to Windows, which runs almost all old versions of Sibelius!

Barslund

Post by Barslund » Sat May 01, 2021 4:12 pm

Hi Andy!
Thanks a lot for your answer :) It's no problem to drag the slur from a bar to the previous bar as long as the two bars are on/in the same line, or what you say, sorry for my English (I'm Danish). For some reason I can't make it work, even when magnetic layout is off, when the slur goes from the last bar to the first bar in the next line (see picture which I hopefully succeded uploading as JPG this time). There keep being a little bit left of the slur in the bar on the next line and that looks strange you know.

All the best,
Rune
Attachments
Bindebue-problem.jpg
Bindebue-problem.jpg (138.82 KiB) Viewed 4038 times

andyg
Sibelius Version: 7.1.3 and 6.2
Operating System: Windows

Post by andyg » Sat May 01, 2021 6:43 pm

Are you selecting the note first then creating the non-magnetic slur?

Try pressing S and then clicking somewhere in blank space above the staff, then reposition the resulting slur.

You could also try switching to Panorama mode to create the slur and then back to normal working mode when it's done.

Barslund

Post by Barslund » Thu May 06, 2021 4:52 pm

Thanks a lot for your advice Andy! It works now:-)