Transposing by key or interval won't allow key signature change.

Discuss general Sibelius issues here. Get help with Sibelius and Sibelius Support.
Papercut
Sibelius Version: 8.5.1
Operating System: Mac

Post by Papercut » Wed Aug 04, 2021 3:31 am

I've had this ongoing problem with transposing sections of a piece. Whether I try to transpose by key or interval, I cannot activate the Options to change the key signature. I have to go through bar by bar and change accidentals. It only allows access to change key signature if I select the whole piece.
I've searched and can't find any preferences to allow this.
Attachments
Transpose by Interval.png
Transpose by Interval.png (110.48 KiB) Viewed 3867 times
Transpose by Key.png
Transpose by Key.png (122.4 KiB) Viewed 3867 times

Papercut

Post by Papercut » Wed Aug 04, 2021 3:45 am

Just found the solution. I didn't know I had to do a system selection (Purple) by holding down Command click on the first bar, then Shift to select more bars, then the Option to change Key Sig is not greyed out. Wish I'd known this before, could have saved hours and hours of fiddly work.

MikeLyons
Sibelius Version: Ult. 2024.3.1/7.5
Operating System: Windows

Post by MikeLyons » Wed Aug 04, 2021 8:26 am

Hi, I was about to reply when you found your answer. However, you could easily have found this by searching the manual. It's on page 294 where it says:

"Set the other options if you like:
  • Transpose key signatures (available when transposing a system passage or the whole score) transposes any key changes within the selected passage. Normally leave this on. If switched off, transposed notes acquire accidentals that would otherwise be specified in the key signature.
  • If Transpose key signatures is on, you can also switch on Change key at start, which will create a new key signature at the start of the transposed passage if you like.
  • If you don’t want Sibelius to create a restorative key change at the end of the transposed passage back to the original key, switch on Allow change of key to persist.
  • Use double sharps/flats makes Sibelius notate remote keys using double sharps and flats rather than naturals. Switch this off for atonal music. Leave it on if you’re Rachmaninov, or Alban Berg in his youth."
Sib 6.2, 7.5 and 2023.6, Windows 11, 32GB RAM, 16TB 7200RPM Storage, 2TB SSD, Note Performer 3.3.2, EWQLSO, EWQLSC, Harmony Assistant and some others. mike@mike-lyons.co.uk

Papercut

Post by Papercut » Thu Aug 05, 2021 11:32 pm

Hi Mike, Thanks for replying.
Yes I was lazy not to look in the manual. It would be great if Sibelius had a 'System Transpose' option in the menu, rather than having to go hunting. Nevertheless moving forward, now I know! Cheers :)