Odd bug makes working impossible

Discuss general Sibelius issues here. Get help with Sibelius and Sibelius Support.
Imeneo
Sibelius Version: 8.2
Operating System: Mac

Post by Imeneo » Sun Sep 05, 2021 5:08 am

Hey all,

I have recently encountered a bug that stops me doing any work at all, whenever I create something, be that a note or a text box etc, Sibelius automatically de-selects it. eg. if I were to select a quaver and place it on beat 1, it is created but flashes blue then turns black, so if I click again it deleted it and places another quaver, instead of forming a chord etc.
But that's not the worst bit, when I go to create a text box or tempo marking, Sibelius automatically deselects it as well, but because there is no text in the box, by default it deletes the box and I cannot type any words, so lyrics, expression, tempo etc are automatically removed.
I can re-select items if they are already there, but obviously it makes almost any real work impossible.

I have re-installed Sibelius twice and it made no difference, and I cannot see anywhere in Sibelius to "revert to factory settings" in case I have inadvertently checked a box in preferences somewhere.

Anyone have any ideas or encountered similar problems before?? I would appreciate any help you can give.

MikeLyons
Sibelius Version: Ult. 2024.3.1/7.5
Operating System: Windows

Post by MikeLyons » Sun Sep 05, 2021 7:18 am

Imeneo wrote:
Sun Sep 05, 2021 5:08 am
Hey all,

I have recently encountered a bug that stops me doing any work at all, whenever I create something, be that a note or a text box etc, Sibelius automatically de-selects it. eg. if I were to select a quaver and place it on beat 1, it is created but flashes blue then turns black,
What is your OS and your actual version of sibelius (First|Sibelius|Ultimate - 6.2, 7.5, 8.x, 2019.x, 2020.x or 2021.2).

Regardless, have you restarted your machine properly? If not, do so and see if that solves your issue.
If on a Mac, are you using a 'Magic Mouse'? These are known to be incredibly un-magic with Sibelius.
Try a different method of note creation. Instead of the mouse, type N. and use the keypad/keyboard to enter notes.
Imeneo wrote:
so if I click again it deleted it and places another quaver, instead of forming a chord etc.
That's how it works. If you want to make a chord, you have your note or notes selected and press the numbers on the top row of the keyboard. 3 will give you a third above [shift]4 will give you a 4th below.
Imeneo wrote:
But that's not the worst bit, when I go to create a text box or tempo marking, Sibelius automatically deselects it as well, but because there is no text in the box, by default it deletes the box and I cannot type any words, so lyrics, expression, tempo etc are automatically removed.
Again, this may be solved by restarting your machine. However, try a different method of text entry. Use the rt-click menu and choose text, then your text style.
Imeneo wrote:
I can re-select items if they are already there, but obviously it makes almost any real work impossible.

I have re-installed Sibelius twice and it made no difference, and I cannot see anywhere in Sibelius to "revert to factory settings" in case I have inadvertently checked a box in preferences somewhere.

Anyone have any ideas or encountered similar problems before?? I would appreciate any help you can give.
Reinstalling Sibelius is a waste of time in these situations.

One idea that occurs to me is that the text issues are typical of a Mac running Bir Sur or later and an earlier version of Sibelius (Before 2020.6). If this IS the case you have very few options.
Sib 6.2, 7.5 and 2023.6, Windows 11, 32GB RAM, 16TB 7200RPM Storage, 2TB SSD, Note Performer 3.3.2, EWQLSO, EWQLSC, Harmony Assistant and some others. mike@mike-lyons.co.uk

andyg
Sibelius Version: 7.1.3 and 6.2
Operating System: Windows

Post by andyg » Sun Sep 05, 2021 6:07 pm

Sounds like you are trying to use v8.2 on Big Sur. If so, forget it, it doesn't work.

You need the latest version of Sibelius Ultimate to work with Big Sur. Alternatively, you could downgrade your Mac OS to a version that will allow v8.2 to work, or you can buy a cheap Windows machine that will happily run Sibelius versions as far back as v5. It could be a cheaper option than upgrading to the latest Sib version!