Sibelius fails to load

Discuss general Sibelius issues here. Get help with Sibelius and Sibelius Support.
andyg
Sibelius Version: 7.1.3 and 6.2
Operating System: Windows

Post by andyg » Mon Sep 27, 2021 8:24 am

Ditto to Symphonic Choirs! I reviewed it for a magazine when it came out and it took a very long time to get to grips with it. When I calculated my hourly rate for writing that review it was in the pennies, not pounds.

TBH, it's still there on my system, ready to go with Cubase, but I haven't used it since the review. Quicker to grab some local singers and a mike or two! :)

Rob M.
Sibelius Version: 2021.9

Post by Rob M. » Mon Sep 27, 2021 10:18 pm

MikeLyons wrote:
Mon Sep 27, 2021 7:37 am
Hi Rob, if you don't want to use ASIO4ALL with Sibelius, but need to use it with Jamulus, make sure you untick the "Use virtual instruments" box.
Thanks, Mike. That looks like just what I need.

To date, I've paid no attention to that dialogue box, because my usual approach to settings options I don't understand is to leave them alone, on the assumption that those who set the defaults usually know what they're doing. In this area, I certainly don't.

Is there a reason to use ASIO4ALL with Sibelius? Especially if I'm using GM for Sibelius playback? My instinct is to avoid ASIO4ALL in Sibelius because (in my experience with Jamulus) ASIO4ALL is somewhat flaky and I'm not looking for more problems.

Anyway, I'll clear that checkbox in Audio Engine Options and re-install ASIO4All. And if it blows up, I'll come back. You've been a great help.
As to using NP. You may still be disappointed at the vocal sounds. NP's are still rather poor. To get decent sounds, you'd really have to purchase a dedicated choral sample library. I have EWQLSC (East-West Quantum Leap Symphonic Choirs) which has fabulous voice sounds, but takes a huge - and do mean HUGE- amount of work to sound realistic.
Thank you for the steer, even though I'm unlikely to spend much money for the good stuff. If I decide I really can't live with the GM sounds, I'll give the Sibelius Sounds a try. And maybe work up from there. Which reminds me: to do that, do I have to download all 23GB from Avid, or will the Sibelius Sounds on the Sib 7 install disk collection work in Sib Ultimate 2021.2?
Cheers...
Rob M.
------------
Sibelius user since Aug '08 (v5.x)
Now running Sibelius Ultimate 2021.2 on Win 10 Home x64 v21H1
AMD A10-5800K 3.8GHz APU on a Gigabyte GA-F2A85X-UP4 mobo; 8GB RAM; 2TB HDD

MikeLyons
Sibelius Version: Ult. 2024.3.1/7.5

Post by MikeLyons » Tue Sep 28, 2021 7:11 am

I'm afraid you will have to download the full 32GB - unless you still have installation discs from Sib 7.x You could cheat a little with those. (FYI apart from a patch for the Bass Clarinet, the 2021 sounds are exactly the same as the 7.5.1 sounds)

I really highly recommend NP. It has a tiny footprint, much better sounds generally than Sib and plays 'out of the box' without any tweaking. There is a free demo available for 30 days. https://www.noteperformer.com/?page=download_trial. I know what I said about the vocal sounds, but even though they are still bad, they're better than sib sounds and GM.
Sib 6.2, 7.5 and 2023.6, Windows 11, 32GB RAM, 16TB 7200RPM Storage, 2TB SSD, Note Performer 3.3.2, EWQLSO, EWQLSC, Harmony Assistant and some others. mike@mike-lyons.co.uk

Rob M.
Sibelius Version: 2021.9

Post by Rob M. » Tue Sep 28, 2021 10:27 pm

MikeLyons wrote:
Tue Sep 28, 2021 7:11 am
I'm afraid you will have to download the full 32GB - unless you still have installation discs from Sib 7.x You could cheat a little with those. (FYI apart from a patch for the Bass Clarinet, the 2021 sounds are exactly the same as the 7.5.1 sounds)
As indicated elsewhere, I do still have the Sib 7.x install disk set -- all four of them -- in a very nice package! So I'll start with that if I decide I can no longer live with the GM sounds. They're adequate (sort of) for checking note-entry accuracy, which is about all I use Sibelius's playback for.
I really highly recommend NP. It has a tiny footprint, much better sounds generally than Sib and plays 'out of the box' without any tweaking. There is a free demo available for 30 days. https://www.noteperformer.com/?page=download_trial. I know what I said about the vocal sounds, but even though they are still bad, they're better than sib sounds and GM.
And if the Sib 7 set doesn't take me to where I want to be, I'll look at NP. That one seems to be the most-frequently recommended set of virtual instruments for Sibelius. And I'll keep your recco for EWQLSC in the back of my mind.
Cheers...
Rob M.
------------
Sibelius user since Aug '08 (v5.x)
Now running Sibelius Ultimate 2021.2 on Win 10 Home x64 v21H1
AMD A10-5800K 3.8GHz APU on a Gigabyte GA-F2A85X-UP4 mobo; 8GB RAM; 2TB HDD