Looking for the Dream Computer when using Sibelius in a variety of ways

Discuss general Sibelius issues here. Get help with Sibelius and Sibelius Support.
cramblet
Sibelius Version: 7.5
Operating System: Windows

Post by cramblet » Mon Sep 27, 2021 11:01 pm

I am in the market for a new computer to use primarily with Sibelius and all things musical. I would like this 'dream' computer capable of addressing several functions:

Composing and doing all the things that one usually does when using Sibelius in terms of filing, exporting, copying, going to the Forum and other places for correcting goofs, etc.; Having decent playback to actually be used in perfomance; not too ponderous in weight so tha I can easily take entire unit for travelling (for instance, I have a commission to write incidental (digital) music fior a children's play and I would like to take it to rehearsals for any changes the director wants and this involves an air flight); and using the monitor to use as display of sheet music (i.e. parts) for rehearsing and performing (I'm also a performer - vocal, guitar, keyboard, etc.) with the ability to easily change pages.

Am I asking too much in a 'dream' computer and/or laptop? I have Surface Pro 5, but after reading online about it, I don't think putting Sibelius would work for me. (The whole pen thing - I don't know about that...There just seems to be so much tweeking involved.)My daughter suggests a 2 in 1 powerful refurbished lap top as a possibility.

Also, I have always used a PC, but I hear from other Sibelius users, that using a MAC is better because Macs have always been more graphic oriented. I've had Sibelius freeze up on me quite a bit on the variety of PCs I've used over the years. But I wonder what the learning curve is for using a Mac with Sibelius.

I have 7.5 and wonder if I should really go for the Ultimate Sibelius but am hesitant because of the cost. 7.5 continues to work very well for me, so could live with it - does the Ultimate or even a step up upgrade do much more or have some cool things I would appreciate? (I am presently writing for a small ensemble but have written for combined orchestra and choir.)

I am not much of a technician, however, and have not graduated to using ProTools or the like.

Would appreciate lots of comments and advice geared towards a slow learner.

Thanks.

MikeLyons
Sibelius Version: Ult. 2024.3.1/7.5

Post by MikeLyons » Tue Sep 28, 2021 7:05 am

OK, what you seem to want is not a dream computer, but dream software!

I would never recommend a Mac to anyone for personal reasons. If you get a powerful laptop, with enough RAM (32GB) and Disc space (Whatever you can afford - preferably SSD) you should have no issues with sibelius. Don't bother with Sib sounds. They are the same as for your Sib 7.5. I would highly recommend NotePerformer as a travelling sound library. It has a tiny footprint compared to most libraries and is relatively cheap and generally has much better sounds for mock-ups and so on. If you really want to go down the route of audio engineering, Cubase or Nuendo from Steinberg are your best toys - but they're both relatively expensive. For portabe HD space for your sound library and/or files, you could do worse than the WD Passport series of drives. they are tiny, fit in a pocket and 5TB costs around £100.

If you are going to be live recording, you'll need a mic and some MIDI interface. I have a Scarlett 2i4 which is small, compact but very flexible.

Having seen how badly the surface pro works for my partner in his job, I wouldn't waste your money on it. The screen is far too small to be used for reading from a music stand and the machine itself seems to fall over every hour or so!

As for graphics power - sibelius doesn't need it. Unless you are going to be elbows deep in photoshop or sound manipulation, it's not important.

If you are writing for various larger ensembles and/or as you get older, a larger screen is very important. If you get a laptop, look for one with a 17" or 19" screen. You should also get one with a built-in keypad. The keypad is pretty much essential for rapid note input without a musical keyboard.

There are a number of new features between 7.5 and Ultimate 2021.2. However, there are also new bugs and most of the old bugs are still there. Look at the comparison charts on Avid's website. Whatever you do, anything less than Ultimate is a serious downgrade of your current version.

Good Luck.

PS you could always go to Dorico. Avid are an awful company.
Sib 6.2, 7.5 and 2023.6, Windows 11, 32GB RAM, 16TB 7200RPM Storage, 2TB SSD, Note Performer 3.3.2, EWQLSO, EWQLSC, Harmony Assistant and some others. mike@mike-lyons.co.uk

cramblet

Post by cramblet » Tue Sep 28, 2021 11:03 am

Thank you! This is quite helpful!

So here's my plan based on your suggestions:

Find a powerful laptop, with enough RAM (32GB) and Disc space with SSD and with the keypad.

Get Note Performer for the sound library. I listened to several sound comparisons on YouTube. NP sounds good!

Use WD My Passport for storage and organized filing.

Keep the 7.5 and hope I can easily transfer it from my old computer to the new one.

Have read about Dorico, but good ol' free Musescore is coming out with it's 4 version which I think will be very good and worth learning while I keep Sibelius. Dorico sounds like quite a leap. Who knows...

I plan to look at refurbished computers from reputable sites to keep the costs down.

Just not sure yet what to use to read music for rehearsing and performing. Everyone uses an IPad which I'd rather not do. Was hoping I could use the computer I use for composing which could have a tablet (detachable screen) function for using on a music stand to practice and perform .

Next issue, then, is to determine the screen size - big enough to compose on, but also the right size for using on the music stand with the capability of using a hands-free page turner. Also, would like a size that would not make it too difficult to travel with including on a plane. Maybe 17 inch would be okay? With what I've come up with, do you think I could combine the two functions on one computer - composing and playing?

Thanks for your help.

andyg
Sibelius Version: 7.1.3 and 6.2

Post by andyg » Tue Sep 28, 2021 11:14 am

I'm with Mike on the Windows laptop vs Mac issue. Twice bitten, thrice shy - 2 dead Macbook Pros upstairs. :( Many years ago, there would have been a performance reason to go with Mac, but not any more IMHO. In any case, if you went with Mac you would also have to upgrade to the latest version of Ultimate - or get a used Mac with an old operating system. 7.5 won't work with Big Sur. Windows 10 will happily run versions of Sibelius as far back as v5!

So I'd go with what Mike said. Good powerful laptop, with plenty of RAM and a large SSD (or two if there's space). As big a screen as is practical, and a keypad is a must.There are some good refurbished items out there. My teaching laptop cost me 1/5 of what it would have cost new - £300 vs £1500 - and it's done well for some years. But you do have to exercise some caution when buying used, naturally!

So with Windows, you can safely stick with 7.5 if it does everything you need - I'm on 7.1.3 and even use 6.2 occasionally. No real need to go to Ultimate, as all those new features would be wasted on me for what I do, and I don't need the new bugs! Add Note Performer for playback and that may be all you need.

If you're into a bit more serious live recording and need multiple mikes etc, consider a small USB mixer in place of the audio interface (I know that's what Mike meant, rather than MIDI) as it will be more flexible in the long run.

MikeLyons
Sibelius Version: Ult. 2024.3.1/7.5

Post by MikeLyons » Tue Sep 28, 2021 12:10 pm

Transferring your 7.5 won't be as easy as it used to be. You'll have to create a case with Avid once you have installed it here: https://avid.secure.force.com/Support/R ... seCreation.

This would be the big stopper if you bought a mac because Big Sur and even Catalina won't run Sib 7.5 properly - if at all.

Although 7.5 is a 64 bit app, the registration process/avid licence control is 32 bit and won't run at all on Big Sur or later.

Andy was nearly right, I was thinking in terms of connecting to a stage piano or keyboard while singing into a mic etc.

Musescore is great for a free program, but it is still a long way behind the others. I know it can't handle external sound libraries/VSTs and only uses the GM sounds for playback.

Reading on a stand - why not use a regular tablet (Samsung or whatever) with the music as a pdf. Avid have been making noises about introducing an android app, similar to the ipad one, which will allow you to playback scores on an android tablet. Personally, I'm not holding my breath waiting.

You are going to have to compromise on something!
Sib 6.2, 7.5 and 2023.6, Windows 11, 32GB RAM, 16TB 7200RPM Storage, 2TB SSD, Note Performer 3.3.2, EWQLSO, EWQLSC, Harmony Assistant and some others. mike@mike-lyons.co.uk

cramblet

Post by cramblet » Tue Sep 28, 2021 12:18 pm

Oooh. I never found transferring Sibelius easy. Hope it won't be a problem.

Maybe I just to get my old computer refurbished!

And I am relieved that you all have said forget going to Mac.

I do have a Surface Pro and should try playing music with .pdf files. Maybe that will be my compromise. All I need is a hands free page turner. That will be my compromise.

Yes, am waiting on Musescore 4. Seems like they've made some advances. Won't give up on Sibelius, though, so long as I can transfer what I have!

Thanks.

andyg
Sibelius Version: 7.1.3 and 6.2

Post by andyg » Tue Sep 28, 2021 6:38 pm

Transferring isn't exactly transferring the app, as you probably know. Install 7.5 on the new machine. Then ask Avid to deactivate 7.5 from your old machine and finally follow the instructions to activate 7.5 on the new one.

Of course if you only have one active instance of 7.5 you can get it up and running before deactivating.

There are a couple of direct email contacts of helpful people at Avid. I know, that's a rarity but there are a few people who regularly look at the official chat pages. Ingrid Guce and Justin Tokke are two good people!

cramblet

Post by cramblet » Thu Sep 30, 2021 1:34 am

Thanks for the tips and the 'people' recommendations for helping out through Avid.