Playback through MIDI not working

Discuss general Sibelius issues here. Get help with Sibelius and Sibelius Support.
mike1127

Post by mike1127 » Sun Oct 31, 2021 5:48 pm

For a long time, I've set up Sibelius to playback through a MIDI device. For some reason it has stopped working. I may have fiddle with the output devices configuration -- I can't remember exactly what I did.

I'm on a Mac using MidiPipe. The output device is one of the MidiPipe inputs, specifically MidiPipe Input 2. (A MidiPipe "input" is an output device from Sibelius's perspective -- it's where the beginning of the pipe is). I have this device included in the active devices list in the playback configurations list. Is there anything else I need to do to use it as an output device or specify it as the main output device?

I'm using Version 8.4.1 on Mac.

Mike

andyg
Sibelius Version: 7.1.3 and 6.2
Operating System: Windows

Post by andyg » Sun Oct 31, 2021 7:48 pm

Have you updated the Mac OS to Big Sur?

If so, that's a big problem. Only more recent versions of Sibelius are compatible.

You would have 3 options.

1) downgrade the OS
2) upgrade to the latest version of Sibelius Ultimate
3) invest in a dedicated Windows laptop just to run Sibelius

If you haven't changed to Big Sur, then something else on your system has changed. Try to figure out what that might be.

mike1127

Post by mike1127 » Sun Oct 31, 2021 9:28 pm

No I haven't updated to Big Sur. I'm on Mojave. I already looked at everything on my system that I can think of. That's why I need some help knowing where to look. If you need more information I'm happy to supply it.

Let's put it this way, the Sibelius playback configs are very confusing. So I'm not sure if I have any of that right. What does it mean if you have two output devices? If they are both MIDI devices? How does a VST plugin work as an output device as opposed to MIDI? Is there anything else besides setting up output devices that is necessary for playback?

Note that I want to use a MIDI output device.