Switching from mac to windows

Discuss general Sibelius issues here. Get help with Sibelius and Sibelius Support.
mewsikman
Sibelius Version: 7.1.3
Operating System: Mac

Post by mewsikman » Fri Nov 26, 2021 11:51 pm

Brand new here,

I posted on fb and everyone took a crap on me and told me how I could have prevented this issue to begin with, so I’ll be limited in my wording.

I need a new machine. I have a mac, and am running 7.1.3 on it. I’d like to get a beelink mini PC. The one I’m considering has 16G ram, and 532G SSD. I’ll be upgrading both. I’d like to upgrade to ultimate, so here are the questions.

1.) how do I switch my Mac version of sib7 to this windows platform without buying another copy for hundreds of dollars?

2.) once that is solved, is the machine I’m considering adequate?

3.) if it is adequate, what might I want to consider to make playback better? Sound cards/drivers? Anything like that? Thank you all for your time.

MikeLyons
Sibelius Version: Ult. 2024.3.1/7.5
Operating System: Windows

Post by MikeLyons » Sat Nov 27, 2021 8:10 am

I must say I'm very surprised at how you were treated. The online sibelius community is usually very kind.

As to your PC. if you are only running Sib with no other external sound libraries (with the possible exception of NotePerformer) what you describe will be adequate. A fast processor - i5 or i7 is fine and I have 6.2 and 7.5 running on Win 11 quite happily. FYI 6.2 runs more happily than 7.5 (Fewer crashes).

My laptop has 2 x 1TB SSD drives. But then, I'm running photoshop and office and have EWQL and Cubase which all need space.

I can recommend NotePerformer for its tiny footprint on disc and its ability to play straight out of the box. It's also quite inexpensive. It DOES, however, depend on the kind of music you are writing. NP doesn't do well with Jazz/Blues/Pop.

DO get an external sound card. I find Focusrite to be more than up to the job. Don't get a Creative card. They are designed for gaming, not music production.

Rather than use the internal laptop screen - unless it's 17" or bigger - get an external monitor. I have a 27" one that can be rotated for larger scores. It's great.

I would recommend going up to Ultimate, if you can afford it. There are a number of improvements on 7.1, but make sure it IS ultimate. Anything else would be a SERIOUS downgrade.
Sib 6.2, 7.5 and 2023.6, Windows 11, 32GB RAM, 16TB 7200RPM Storage, 2TB SSD, Note Performer 3.3.2, EWQLSO, EWQLSC, Harmony Assistant and some others. mike@mike-lyons.co.uk

mewsikman
Sibelius Version: 7.1.3
Operating System: Mac

Post by mewsikman » Sat Nov 27, 2021 10:35 am

This was so incredibly helpful. I couldn’t locate the beelink, so I’m thinking of a dell mini. What, particularly, am I looking for in a sound card? Do you have any specific recommendations from focusrite? It’s all orchestral scores, so noteperformer should be great!

Anything you have to offer is great! Thanks again!

MikeLyons
Sibelius Version: Ult. 2024.3.1/7.5
Operating System: Windows

Post by MikeLyons » Sat Nov 27, 2021 12:29 pm

It doesn't need to be all singing and all dancing. If you are not running a DAW alongside it, all you need is a card that has a suitable ASIO or WASAPI driver. I use the Focusrite Scarlett 3rd Gen 2i4. It's small, portable and easy to install. If you intend doing any serious studio work, you might need something a bit more substantial, but this is fine for me. I mainly write for chamber groups and british brass bands, although I have a few orchestral and choral works as well.
Sib 6.2, 7.5 and 2023.6, Windows 11, 32GB RAM, 16TB 7200RPM Storage, 2TB SSD, Note Performer 3.3.2, EWQLSO, EWQLSC, Harmony Assistant and some others. mike@mike-lyons.co.uk