MusicXML Version/Format Compatibility?

Discuss general Sibelius issues here. Get help with Sibelius and Sibelius Support.
DeanP
Sibelius Version: 2021.2 build 3268
Operating System: Mac

Post by DeanP » Sat Dec 18, 2021 7:18 pm

Testing MusicXML import/compatibility with Sibelius (not Ultimate). Version 2021.12 build 580.

Tried various MusicXML files from:
https://www.musicxml.com/music-in-musicxml/example-set/
Note: All the sample files on this page have now been updated to the MusicXML 4.0 format

These have mostly produced error messages in Sibelius such as:

"This MusicXML file uses a new version of MusicXML than Sibelius can import . . ."

Unfortunately the Sibelius document "File Formats Which Sibelius Imports" as well as the Comparison Table of product features, etc., all fail to mention which version of MusicXML is compatible with which version of Sibelius.

Can anyone tell me which version/format of MusicXML Sibelius will be compatible with?

MikeLyons
Sibelius Version: Ult. 2024.3.1/7.5
Operating System: Windows

Post by MikeLyons » Sun Dec 19, 2021 7:56 am

Sibelius' musicxml import has always been crappy. If I need to import music from other sources I will almost always run it through Musescore first as that reduces the number of issues.

Also, try ignoring the message about newer version and import it anyway. You may find it'll work. It's never perfect anyway. and you'll still have a lot of cleaning up to do.
Sib 6.2, 7.5 and 2023.6, Windows 11, 32GB RAM, 16TB 7200RPM Storage, 2TB SSD, Note Performer 3.3.2, EWQLSO, EWQLSC, Harmony Assistant and some others. mike@mike-lyons.co.uk

DeanP
Sibelius Version: 2021.2 build 3268
Operating System: Mac

Post by DeanP » Sun Dec 19, 2021 6:12 pm

Hi Mike,

Tried to ignore the Sibelius message and let it proceed forward, but it just died on the "Importing MusicXML file."

I then tried your MuseScore workflow and it worked perfectly within MuseScore.

When I brought the MuseScore file into Sibelius, it now opened, but with a big gap in the Staff Spacing so I used Layout>Selection to "Optimize Staff Spacing in Selection." Then it resembled the MuseScore version, I then exported it from Sibelius as a MusicXML and then reopened it in Sibelius, and there seemed to be no change--it still looked ok in the "optimized" layout.

Thanks so much for your help.
Dean
Debussy MusicXML Test.jpg
Debussy MusicXML Test.jpg (166.96 KiB) Viewed 1883 times