Guitar String Notation w/o Bracket

Discuss general Sibelius issues here. Get help with Sibelius and Sibelius Support.
SteveFreides
Sibelius Version: 2019 build 1580
Operating System: Mac

Post by SteveFreides » Tue Jan 04, 2022 8:02 pm

I thought I posted this yesterday but I cannot find it. Under Lines->Lines, I can select a string number and that appears along with a bracket to show where passage on the indicated string ends.

I need the string number in a circle, but without the bracket since much of what I'm doing will have only one note at a time on a particular string.

(By way of background, I am a long-time Sibelius user (since version 2), and a long-time classical guitarist (it was my first major in college in 1972), but this is my first attempt at doing a completely notated score of one of my arrangements. And I used to have an account on an earlier version of this forum but I had to recreate it for this.)

Thanks in advance for your replies.

-S-

SteveFreides

Post by SteveFreides » Thu Jan 06, 2022 12:46 pm

Bueller?

Anyone?

-S-

andyg
Sibelius Version: 7.1.3 and 6.2
Operating System: Windows

Post by andyg » Thu Jan 06, 2022 4:39 pm

There are only two or three of us still answering questions on this unofficial site. I don't know the answer and if the others haven't replied, they probably don't either.

Try asking on the official site: https://www.sibelius.com/cgi-bin/helpce ... ?groupid=3

SteveFreides

Post by SteveFreides » Thu Jan 06, 2022 5:02 pm

Thanks. I just tried that, went around in circles, reset my password twice, logged in 3 times, still getting a "you do not have permission to chat" error after I create a post there.

<sigh>

-S-

KJ_Palmer
Sibelius Version: 6.2, 7.5

Post by KJ_Palmer » Thu Jan 06, 2022 7:18 pm

Well, here's one possible answer, now that (I think that) I understand what you want. (Bearing in mind I'm still on Sib 7.5).

I presume by 'bracket' you mean the little 'hook' at the end of the line of the string number in a circle.

You can edit the string indicators for each string by navigating to them in the Edit Lines menu (click on the symbol the bottom right corner of Lines in the ribbon). With the string indicator selected press Edit (or New if you want to keep the existing line with the hook), and select 'None' instead of Hook on the bottom right hand side. Press OK and you can use your edited string indicators without the hook. They will still have a line extending but you can retract this by dragging it into the body of the circle.

You can use these in other scores by saving as a house style and importing the house style into the other score.

Hope that helps anyway!
Sibelius 6.2, 7.5.1, Windows 11

KJ_Palmer

Post by KJ_Palmer » Fri Jan 07, 2022 10:36 am

Actually, just found an easier way to create a number in a circle. It can be fun playing with settings in Sibelius...

Create a new text style, e.g. based on Small Text.

Go to Text > Edit Text Styles > Scroll to Small text > New Text Style > Yes. Change the Name e.g. to 'Small Text (circle)'
Click the 'Border' tab > Click the 'Circled' button TWICE so it shows a tick > Ok > Close

Now you can use Small Text (circle) as a Text style for your string text, and resize/move around as needed. Again, I think you'll need to save your house style for future use.

SteveFreides

Post by SteveFreides » Sat Jan 08, 2022 12:31 am

@kj_palmer, thanks for the suggestions - will give them a try asap, likely over the weekend.

Much appreciated.

-S-

KJ_Palmer

Post by KJ_Palmer » Sat Jan 08, 2022 5:42 pm

Great, good luck with this.

I suggest the second way (creating a new text style) may be the better, more flexible approach, rather than creating a new line style. I seemed to end up with more new line styles than I bargained for (maybe new lines are created as a family?), which I then had to delete.