Sibelious de-selecting text

Discuss general Sibelius issues here. Get help with Sibelius and Sibelius Support.
Nolofinwe
Sibelius Version: 8.6.1
Operating System: Mac

Post by Nolofinwe » Wed Jan 26, 2022 12:42 am

Hello!

I am operating Sibelius version 8.6.1. (I just upgraded from a much earlier version because of this problem but it didn't go away). My mac is also operating 12.0.1 Monterey.

Basically, whenever I create text of any sort, I'm no longer automatically in "type" mode. For example, when I want to add dynamics, I'll select the note, do ⌘+e. A few months ago, I was able to just start typing in the dynamic immediately. Now I have to click "return/enter" first. The link below is an image to what this looks like.

https://imgur.com/a/kCUGRzC

This isn't too annoying for dynamics. However, for lyrics or chords, it really starts to get bad. For chords (another image in the link), I have to click the box little box that appears, then hit "return" for each chord. As you can imagine, this takes a while. To make matters worse, I can't hit spacebar more than once without playback starting (unless I click "return" for each chord). The same applies for lyrics.

It also doesn't make a difference if I do ⌘+e or select it from the dropdown under the Text tab.

Does anyone know a way to fix this? It's really slowing me down, especially because a lot of what I do involves lots of text (dynamics, technique, chords, etc.)

MikeLyons
Sibelius Version: Ult. 2024.3.1/7.5
Operating System: Windows

Post by MikeLyons » Wed Jan 26, 2022 8:35 am

This is absolutely typical of what happens when a Mac user is running a version of sibelius on a version of the OS that is too new. Nothing eralier than 2019.9 will run properly on Monterey or Big Sur. This link might be helpful.
https://avid.secure.force.com/pkb/artic ... y/en418691

This issue was caused by Apple, NOT by Sibelius.
Sib 6.2, 7.5 and 2023.6, Windows 11, 32GB RAM, 16TB 7200RPM Storage, 2TB SSD, Note Performer 3.3.2, EWQLSO, EWQLSC, Harmony Assistant and some others. mike@mike-lyons.co.uk

theBore
Sibelius Version: 8.4.2
Operating System: Mac

Post by theBore » Sat Apr 16, 2022 6:54 pm

Same problem here, Sibelius version 8.4.2 and it started when I bought a new Mac with the new OS Monterey 12.3.1.

Any solution found?

Thanks and all the best,
theBore

MikeLyons
Sibelius Version: Ult. 2024.3.1/7.5
Operating System: Windows

Post by MikeLyons » Sun Apr 17, 2022 7:36 am

OK, I don't know how to say this any more clearly:

No version of Sibelius before 2019.9 will work properly on any Mac OS later than 10.10 or 10.11. Some of the issues are to do with text entry, some to do with note entry, registration does not work any more etc. This is because APPLE have changed too many things in the way their OS works. There is NO SOLUTION other than to downgrade to an earlier OS version or upgrade Sibelius to the latest version (2022.3). If you downgrade the OS you may also run into issues where Apple push udates (especially to out of service versions) which will completely break Sibelius permanently - until you do a full reinstatement of the OS, with the need to wipe your hard drive(s) and reinstall all your software.

If you are a Windows user - count your blessings!
Sib 6.2, 7.5 and 2023.6, Windows 11, 32GB RAM, 16TB 7200RPM Storage, 2TB SSD, Note Performer 3.3.2, EWQLSO, EWQLSC, Harmony Assistant and some others. mike@mike-lyons.co.uk