How to save custom instruments

Discuss general Sibelius issues here. Get help with Sibelius and Sibelius Support.
RobertDAltman
Sibelius Version: 2019.9
Operating System: Windows

Post by RobertDAltman » Fri May 13, 2022 9:47 pm

I created a new instrument in Sibelius Ultimate (Home tab, click the arrow at the bottom of the Instruments section, click the New Instrument button).

As far as I can tell, that new instrument is saved with the score that contains it. How do I save it somewhere where I can use it in other scores?

For extra credit, how do I save it somewhere where I can reload it even if I reinstall Sibelius from scratch. I currently have manuscript paper, house styles, and add-in settings stored in a "backup" folder. When I install Sibelius, I copy those files to the appropriate Sibelius data folders. Is there a way to save my custom instruments in a similar way?

KJ_Palmer
Sibelius Version: 6.2, 7.5
Operating System: Windows

Post by KJ_Palmer » Fri May 13, 2022 11:46 pm

You can save the new instrument by exporting a house style or manuscript paper for use in other scores. You can import your House Style into another score, or use the saved manuscript paper.

This is from the Sibelius 7.5 Reference manual, under Edit Instruments (I imagine it's similar/yhe same in later versions) :

Sibelius makes this easy, using the Edit Instruments dialog. Any changes to the existing instruments
or new instruments you create are then saved in the score you are working on, and can be
used in other scores by exporting a house style or saving them in a manuscript paper.

For Sibelius 7.5 the House styles are saved as .lib files by default in C:\Users\[Your user name]\Application Data\Avid\Sibelius 7.5\House Styles which can be copied to another installation.

Not sure about manuscript papers as I don't use them, but it's probably similar.
Sibelius 6.2, 7.5.1, Windows 11