Saving names for playback configuration devices

Discuss general Sibelius issues here. Get help with Sibelius and Sibelius Support.
MisterE
Sibelius Version: 7.5
Operating System: Windows

Post by MisterE » Wed May 18, 2022 11:37 pm

Hello,

I am currently in the process of helping someone set up Sibelius 7.5 with the goal of being able to use a few different external
synths along with the Sibelius sounds. I was able to find sound sets for most of them and the others seems to work fine on general midi. The way my playback configurations are set up ties the proper sound set to each device. The issue I'm running into is that since each device is connected with a separate MIDI to USB cable (USB going to MIDI for each synth) Sibelius only sees each one as "USB MIDI device." I have each cable labeled so provided they are all plugged in to the proper USB ports and corresponding device, Sibelius will retain which sound set goes to which device in the playback configuration. This works OK, but when choosing to have any particular instrument play through one of these external devices they all show as "USB MIDI interface" in the mixer which makes it difficult to know which one is which.

I've figured out that I can double click the devices in the playback configuration and rename them, but any time Sibelius is relaunched it loses the names I've given them. The only work around I've come up with the distinguish them is to rename them at the start of each session. There are only 4 external devices total so it's not a huge deal since you can tell what to rename them based on the sound set assigned, but it would be ideal if this didn't have to be done each and every time Sibelius is started.

Is there anything I'm missing here? I've done quite a bit of searching and it seems difficult to find much information on using Sibelius to playback on external devices in general. Any help with this specific issue would be greatly appreciated. Otherwise I am also open to any suggestions on better ways to set this up if anyone has a good deal of experience using Sibelius with multiple external MIDI devices for playback. The person I'm helping to configure all of this is an older gentleman who is very skilled in composing with Sibelius, but I'd like to make that process as smooth as possible for him and have as permanent of a setup as possible where he can just launch the program and begin working without having to do too much set up.

MikeLyons
Sibelius Version: Ult. 2024.3.1/7.5
Operating System: Windows

Post by MikeLyons » Thu May 19, 2022 5:42 am

You are much more likely to get an answer to your rather esoteric question if you pose it at the official Avid Sibelius forum here:https://www.sibelius.com/cgi-bin/helpce ... &groupid=3.

This is not something I have come across before because I generally don't use more than one external device.
Sib 6.2, 7.5 and 2023.6, Windows 11, 32GB RAM, 16TB 7200RPM Storage, 2TB SSD, Note Performer 3.3.2, EWQLSO, EWQLSC, Harmony Assistant and some others. mike@mike-lyons.co.uk