Reliable Video Export

Discuss general Sibelius issues here. Get help with Sibelius and Sibelius Support.
warnakey
Sibelius Version: 8
Operating System: Windows

Post by warnakey » Thu Jun 02, 2022 4:15 am

Hello!

I am new here, so please forgive me if I am breaking some kind of rule with this post. I am having a problem with Sibelius Ultimate version 2021.9 build 3598. When I choose to export something as an HD video the resulting wmv file looks drastically different than what I see on the editing screen. Several things can change during the video export, such as page margins, # of measures per page, adjustments you make with your mouse to notes, barlines, noteheads, etc. All of these adjustments that you spend hours on in the editor will not be honored when you export to video.

This is absolutely maddening.

I attached some examples to show the before and after of what the editor screen looks like versus the video export.

So far I have discovered stupid hacks I can do to solve some of the issues that you see, but there are some that I can't solve. The 2 examples I provided are for the harp, which tends to have these big slurs across both bass and treble clef, and it seems Sibelius just does not know how to handle slurs or arpeggios across the 2 staffs for instruments like harp or piano, but there are more issues going on than I can shake a fist at. It shouldn't have to be this hard.

I am wondering if anyone has any more experience than I do at getting the Sibelius video export to be more reliable? I am going absolutely bonkers insane here and I need help.
Attachments
howitlooks2.jpg
howitlooks2.jpg (157.31 KiB) Viewed 3235 times
howitlooks1.jpg
howitlooks1.jpg (235.55 KiB) Viewed 3235 times

MikeLyons
Sibelius Version: Ult. 2024.3.1/7.5

Post by MikeLyons » Thu Jun 02, 2022 7:43 am

I don't really bother with video export for my piano music and I don't do a lot of this kind of writing, but a couple of things occur to me:

1. When you export to video, you have the option to show the page view or score view. Is one of these better than the other? I find the score view is ok with a lot of instruments, but page view might be better for a single grand staff instrument.
2. Make sure you have page justification set to 100% (justify page when) or 0% - either should work.
3. Auto justification should also be off.
4. Check how it looks in panorama mode. This is nearer than page mode for how the video will look.
5. Instead of exporting a video, if you can't get any better results, export as graphics and stitch together in a video editor.

The handling of all lines on grand staves is one of sibelius' major weaknesses and has been since day 0. I've not yet given up hope that they'll fix it, but don't hold your breath.

[EDIT] I've just had another thought - try turining off all magnetic layout for the slurs and cross staff lines. That might avoid the staves spreading further apart as they seem to be doing.
Sib 6.2, 7.5 and 2023.6, Windows 11, 32GB RAM, 16TB 7200RPM Storage, 2TB SSD, Note Performer 3.3.2, EWQLSO, EWQLSC, Harmony Assistant and some others. mike@mike-lyons.co.uk

warnakey
Sibelius Version: 8

Post by warnakey » Fri Jun 10, 2022 7:06 pm

Thank you MikeLyons,

Your first idea, to use the Score View was exactly what I needed. Once I did that, I only needed to mess with the Page Size and Staff Size settings to get the video to look much better on export.

Appreciate you taking the time.