Annoying auto-scroll issue

Discuss general Sibelius issues here. Get help with Sibelius and Sibelius Support.
elisatems
Sibelius Version: Ultimate
Operating System: Mac

Post by elisatems » Sun Jun 05, 2022 3:36 pm

Something I first noticed whilst working on a very large score is that when the score got to a certain size or length, it became impossible to make any edits "near the beginning" of the score (basically the first third or so) without Sibelius auto-scrolling the view to somewhere else in the score, usually to the first page but sometimes to some random point. ("Any edits" includes things like adjusting the spacing of staves or barlines.) Now I'm noticing a similar problem in a score I just began writing yesterday, where attempts to input a note, or even to select a different note length from the keypad, has a similar effect, either auto-scrolling to the very beginning, or even to someplace off the page entirely (so that the window goes entirely dark). This last effect has also happened when beginning playback: the green vertical line marking the current point in the playback displays against a dark window with no staves or notes.

This is with Sibelius Ultimate, the latest release of 2022.5.Mac and it is much worse now than it was previously when I was working on the large score. Is there a setting I'm unaware of to prevent Sibelius from auto-scrolling? While some degree of auto-scrolling is nice, this is so unpredictable and unhelpful that if there is no way to turn it off, I think I will try Dorico instead as it is a major PITA.

Thanks in advance,
Liz

MikeLyons
Sibelius Version: Ult. 2024.3.1/7.5
Operating System: Windows

Post by MikeLyons » Sun Jun 05, 2022 9:24 pm

Try changing these settings
score pos (2).png
score pos (2).png (36.86 KiB) Viewed 4698 times
or using the horizontal page display options.
displsy hor or vert.png
displsy hor or vert.png (16.15 KiB) Viewed 4698 times
IIRC, the vertical ones were problematic.
Sib 6.2, 7.5 and 2023.6, Windows 11, 32GB RAM, 16TB 7200RPM Storage, 2TB SSD, Note Performer 3.3.2, EWQLSO, EWQLSC, Harmony Assistant and some others. mike@mike-lyons.co.uk

elisatems

Post by elisatems » Thu Jun 09, 2022 4:18 pm

Thanks, but if you mean deselecting "Follow Position", this does not fix the problem. The only thing it seems to do is prevent auto-scroll during input of notes, i.e. when I come to the end of a line, it doesn't take me to the next. But when I click on a note to drag it to a different pitch, or a staff to make more space, as soon as the mouse is clicked, bang! I'm somewhere else in the score - usually at the very top. Seems to be a bug in the way mouse clicks are handled somewhere low-level in the program.

And just to add: this does not happen predictably and reproducibly, but randomly, although there are times when it does happen consistently in a certain part of the score (always in the first half, usually in the first third or fourth). But then the next time i open the score in Sibelius, it might happen instead a few pages back or forward from there.

andyg
Sibelius Version: 7.1.3 and 6.2

Post by andyg » Thu Jun 09, 2022 4:27 pm

Your signature says Ultimate and Mac.

Just want to check that you're not trying to use an older version of Ultimate on Big Sur, as that will throw up all sorts of odd problems.

elisatems

Post by elisatems » Thu Jun 09, 2022 4:30 pm

andyg wrote:
Thu Jun 09, 2022 4:27 pm
Your signature says Ultimate and Mac.

Just want to check that you're not trying to use an older version of Ultimate on Big Sur, as that will throw up all sorts of odd problems.
In fact I'm still running Mojave due to needing a certain app that is not 64-bit compatible. No, I have the most recent version of Ultimate, 2022.5, as I believe I said in the OP.

MikeLyons

Post by MikeLyons » Fri Jun 10, 2022 7:51 am

Are you using Vertical spreads? (My second image). There are long-standing issues with using these in any OS. Switch to horizontal spreads and see if that solves the issue.
Sib 6.2, 7.5 and 2023.6, Windows 11, 32GB RAM, 16TB 7200RPM Storage, 2TB SSD, Note Performer 3.3.2, EWQLSO, EWQLSC, Harmony Assistant and some others. mike@mike-lyons.co.uk

elisatems

Post by elisatems » Fri Jun 10, 2022 4:12 pm

Not sure what "vertical spreads" means... if you mean, how are the pages laid out, then yes, I make Sibelius arrange them vertically so that I can use the scroll wheel to thumb through the score. I know of no way to scroll horizontally except by mousing down to the horizontal scrollbar.

Is what you are suggesting the same thing as "Panorama" view?

MikeLyons

Post by MikeLyons » Sat Jun 11, 2022 12:42 am

No. Not at all. Sibelius can (in theory, at least) display your pages in horizontal pairings or in vertical pairings The buttons on the status bar show you what the layout will be like. Do NOT use the vertical layout. This is what is futzing with your score position.

elisatems

Post by elisatems » Sun Jun 12, 2022 1:49 am

Roger that. But to me, if you can't arrange the pages vertically without tickling a bug, it sounds like something is seriously broken in SIbelius, and you would think they would want to place a pretty high priority on fixing it.

MikeLyons

Post by MikeLyons » Sun Jun 12, 2022 7:56 am

Well think again. They are far too busy messing about with bloody iPads!

elisatems

Post by elisatems » Sun Jun 12, 2022 3:17 pm

Yeah I've noticed that too... can't say I have any interest in even trying the iPad version...